IT IS AMAZING WHAT YOU COME ACROSS IN OLD BOOKS....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

IT IS AMAZING WHAT YOU COME ACROSS IN OLD BOOKS....

Post by flyfishwithme » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:01 am

After the thread under 'Fishing Wingless Flies' about our book collections, I happened to be thumbing though them and came upon some interesting notes by previous owners. That is what I like about collecting old books. Sometimes people take the time to add their own thoughts to them Pristine they are not but valuable they are, at least to me.
Fo example, in one of my books (I'll dig it out) there are some comments at the back about Stewarts flies. While we often refer to his spiders, there are some other patterns which Stewart used and which he believed were equally good. The previous owner placed some notes about that fact way back in 1907. History to me.
But, what I want to share with you is the notes that I came across in my copy of 'Modern Trout Fly Dressing by Roger Woolley. I have scanned the notes and include them here. Hopefully some of you who are technical whizz kids can blow them up to larger pictures which may make them more readable.
Enjoy......
GlassJet

Re: IT IS AMAZING WHAT YOU COME ACROSS IN OLD BOOKS....

Post by GlassJet » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 am

Hi Philip,
Fascinating when you find stuff like that in old books, isn't it? Snapshots into other people's lives are always interesting, in to other times too all the more so. It happens a lot in old poetry books, I find.

A few months ago I picked up a big, wooden fly box, full of hand tied flies from my local tackle shop. Looking at some of the hooks and dressings, must have gone back to the 30's? 40's? And up to quite recently, using maribou etc. That in itself was a fascinating story of somebody's whole fly fishing life, no doubt. Twenty quid well spent, for me - must get around to photographing them sometime.

Thanks for posting that
Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:45 am

Wow, I am really glad you shared those scans with us. I enjoyed reading through each of the notations on the flies. It's funny how I can almost "see" each one in my minds eye as I read the materials listed. Thank you for sharing these.

PS - I'm glad I am not the only one who writes in their books...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 am

aw man, that is really cool to find. I'm enjoying the thread on books and this is an interesting bonus. I'm jealous of the historic book collections.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Dearest Philip,
The book and it's "notes" are truly wonderful and a fascinating read. I want to thank you for posting the pages. You did a good job! I was wondering about my own little collection and the pages I have underlined and hi-lited in her books thru the years. More so these that actual comments in the margins and such. If I drop dead tonight and by some small miracle my books (and some good magazines too) wound up in someones hands that actually appreciated them and again, by some even bigger miracle some of the pages wound up on this forum.....what would be the thoughts of all of you and future generations of how I tie and fish? By the same token, the author of the "notes" prob. never gave it a thought either. Or did he?
Almost a mystery wrapped up in these wonderful words on a subject we all love and can identify with. Thanks Philip! Do you have any more books like these?
Dougsden

In case you are wondering, Mrs. Dougsden has promised that when I croak, all my "crap" will be blythly distributed in one of her famous garage sales for $.50 a box despite my wishes that the books go to our local library and my gear to my brothers. That's why it pays to check out all the garage sales you can. I do! One never knows what kind of treasures will appear before your very eyes!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 am

What a great post Doug,
If you look carefully at the notes you will see that there are in fact three different handwriting styles which suggests that multipole owners have added to the 'treasure' making me the fourth, and the book is full. I am going to put some notes in (probably through some paper slips) and a little covering note in the hope that the fifth owner may keep this small tradition going.
Yes, I do have books with notes in them. Not as extensive as this one though. I even have a snip from a newspaper where the debate about eyed hooks versus hooks tied to gut is debated. I may try and get that onto a scan.
Thank you.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Philip,
About posting the snip from the newspaper about eyed hooks vs. gut....that would be fantastic as well as historic! I can't wait until you find it and scan it and post it and all that other stuff (kinda ran on there didn't I?).
I hope that when you insert your notes into this book, please remember to give a little biography about yourself so that future owners will know more about you. We all know Philip that you are unforgetable! We just want future generations to remember you that way too!
Thanks for sharing friend and we will be looking forward to more good stuff that you bring to this forum.
Your pal in the States,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:40 am

Okay Doug, just for you.. :lol:
I hope other people can add to this thread, it would make a great one to place in the 'reference section.
Here is the Jackson information. You will notice that the person who owned the book at one stage was also a fan of Stewart as he has noted Stewart's SIX flies in the rear of the book. The additional three (not spiders) were preferred by Stewart over his spiders. Interesting.

Oops, upside down. Sorry

DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Philip,
Thank you! This stuff is amazing! How do you come up with these great books? Please don't tell me that you found them in a yard sale! (remember Mrs. Dougsdens promise of when I kick off). The article was really great but just a smidge hard to read. I could not magnify or enlarge it to save my aunt fanny. I'm going back there soon and double check it. Maybe if I turn my head a little to the left....Ah, new glasses! They are great!
And so are you Philip. Thanks for putting forth the effort. Yes, let's keep this thread alive!
Your pal,
Dougsden
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Howdy;
Dougsden...

Look at the lower right corner of your computer screen,

Just above the time you should see another bar.

The box at the exstream Right should contain a magnifying glass and a % sign.

Place your curser on the down pointing triangle and Left ckick.

Should give you a range of options for enlarging what it is you are looking at.

Donald, intresting reading, only scratches the surface of the gold mine you have,
Thank You for the good read ...even if I had to stand on me head for a bit. :lol:
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin