looking at chickens....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

looking at chickens....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Last night, while at our local county fair, we had a chance to run through the poultry barn where all the 4-H entries are on display. Wow! For a small town affair, there were some surprisingly good and healthy birds. One breed that caught my eye was the "English game hen-red". The red I believe was for the beautiful neck hackles that surrounded the birds upper head and all the way down to just above it's shoulders. From there on down there were feathers that looked very similar to Hungarian Partridge in the way that the feathers were marked except much darker almost a chocolate brown. And of course there were alot of sizes represented that everyone likes....10's, 12's, and even some 14's. The red hackles would have been worth the price of the bird alone but the partridge looking feathers would have been the icing on the cake. And I really like my cake!
There were other good looking birds there as well (the all black hens made me turn the corner again for a second look) but the above bird with it's fancy dress on really got me to slobbering.
Does anyone else look these creatures over like I do? Better yet, do any of you raise poultry or game birds?
Living a much cooler life nowadays,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: looking at chickens....

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Doug - It is funny that you should mention chickens. When I visited my folks a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find that my father had gotten a pair of chickens to "guard" his yard. I got a kick out of watching them strut around the yard eating all the bugs they could find. Here is a picture of the male.
2010081018_26_385002.JPG
I think he knew I was looking very closely at his feathers, 'cause I couldn't get anywhere near him. He seems to be a good judge of character. :lol:

My daughter took a photo of an interesting chicken at the local county fair. I'd never seen one with a poofy-feathered head like this (see photo below):
2010_0813_101922AA.JPG
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 pm

It'll be a something Polish. I have seen a few SIlver Polish and they has black tips to the "poofy" head feathers. I'd assume that that thing is from the same sorta chicken...
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:34 am

My wife and I make it a point to visit the poultry exhibit at the State Fair every year, and like Dougsden, I'm always drawn to the red roosters. I'm a feather freak year 'round, always looking in shops and at shows for unique shades and patterns, but I've not yet found any for sale that match the ones I see at the Fair :cry: .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:07 am

Well Doug you have me chuckling a bit here this morning. You see this past Saturday afternoon found me meandering thru the poultry exhibit at our county fair also. Now that I think about it I'm sure I was the only one with my nose up tight to the cages to better judge the quality of the feathers. We also have a pigeon and bantam show and swap a couple times a year at the same location. If I'm in need of peacock I try to make one of those shows.

Regards, Jerry
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 pm

To Jerry & everyone,
Your comments (esp. yours Jerry with noses pressed against the cages!) and pictures (thanks Ray!) really made my heart happy. There is a grain of truth for all of us who tie about being on the lookout for feathers all year long. I was trying to figure out how to pluck just one or two of those delicious looking neck and saddle feathers off the skin of this English game hen without it squawking too much when my Mrs. Dougsden slapped me back into reality land and pointed out to me that the 4-h police were watching me closely from the end of the isle. Do I have some sort of reputation for this kind of behavior that proceedes me even to the poultry barns of our local county fair? Evidently, I do. Would it have been worth it? Oh yea!
May we ever be on the prowl for better feathers!
This is fun! Keep them coming fellows.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:28 am

A very good idea, scouting the poultry shows, but one word of warning.
Ignore all of the pigeon family, the colours can look promising but as Skues said,
and I found to be true, the hackles from pigeons are not worth the bother.
In the UK, no hackle suppliers every have pigeon, even although thousands
of the largest wild wood pigeons are shot every year.
They are good eating, but useless for fly tying. :(

I though you might as well give Skues words
"Pigeon, Wood. - This bird affords a number of beautiful blue feathers of colours that look admirable, whether one resorts to neck or wing, or back. But there is a harshness, a stiffness and opacity, and a tendency to split about the feathers which are characteristics common to all the feathers of the pigeon tribe, rendering them very disappointing to the dresser. Still, they are given in some of the books, and, without recommending them, the writer feels bound to give them. For all purposes for which the lighter coloured feathers of the woodpigeon can be used, the feathers of the common gulls and sea swallows are greatly to be preferred.

Pigeon, Domestic, and other Varieties. - The hackle from the glossy neck of a ruddy brown pigeon is used for a Derbyshire pattern called the Whistler. The wings of white varieties can be used for the Coachman and other white winged flies. But see remarks under “Pigeon, Wood.”

Here are Skues complete words on birds, still valid -
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page81.html
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:47 am

DNicolson wrote:
Here are Skues complete words on birds, still valid -
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page81.html

That's a fantastic resource you're getting together there Donald, thanks for that. As for Skues, I particularly enjoyed his advice for sourcing Ostrich herl:

[Ostrich]... Obtained from a plumassier or by raiding the bonnets of one’s womankind.

:D

Must try the Derbyshire pattern with the Wood Pigeon as well...

Andrew,
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:19 pm

Howdy all,
Going to try my hand at posting a photo. Some of the flock at my Lady freind Sherry's home. Only some of the birds. More constantly arriving.

[img][URL=http://s959.photobucket.com/a[/img]

hope this works.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm

HMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.
Sumtin not right right here.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any ideas?
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin