About Leisenring & Hidy....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

About Leisenring & Hidy....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm

DEAR FRIENDS,
I OCCASIONALLY CRUISE OVER TO FLYMPH.COM AND LOOK AROUND AT THE DIFFERENT THINGS POSTED THERE. I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN HISTORIES OF BIG JIM LEISENRING AND "PETE" HIDY. I HAVE A COPY OF THEIR BOOK "THE ART OF TYING AND FISHING THE WET FLY" AND IT'S FASCINATING. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE OLD PHOTO'S STILL AROUND OF EITHER MAN OR ARE THERE ANY OTHER BOOKS BY EITHER FELLOW? ALSO, I NOTICED THAT SOME OF THE PHOTO CREDITS ARE BY LANCE HIDY WHICH I ASSUME IS PETE'S SON. IS HE STILL LIVING? IS HE INVOLVED IN FLYFISHING AS WAS HIS DAD? ANY INFO. YOU CAN SPARE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
FROM A FLYFISHING HISTORIAN IN THE MAKING (AND A LONG WAY TO GO I MIGHT ADD...)
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
narcodog

Re: About Leisenring & Hidy....

Post by narcodog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Hidy wrote several articles for Sports illustrated. He also did some small books for S.I. You can go to S.I.'s web and go tho their archives.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes,
Pete wrote The Sports Illustrated Book of Wet Fly Fishing. It's a little book, but a nice one.

As stated Pete wrote for the magazine as well and he wrote a chapter for the book Masters of The Nymph, where he discusses flymphs. This book was edited by Len Wright Jr. and Mike Migel, I believe.

Lance Hidy is still alive and Jim Slattery has actually talked with him. Many of the photos were loaned to Jim by Lance Hidy.

One of the newer books on tying these flies is Dave Hughes' Wet Flies. Mr. Hughes personally knew Vern Hidy and learned much about these flies and fishing them from Hidy.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:50 pm

The stars and planets aligned for me and I was able to purchase Leisenrings notebooks, Letters written to Pete Hidy about the book during the writing process , and futher corresponence, Mauscripts from the book( about half) and a unpublished Manucript and a few other items. It was really Mike Connor who found the Notebooks for sale on the web. He posted the discovery on the FFBB. Actually it was on there for a couple weeks before I actually gave Mike's post a hard read, my first thought was that he found a rare first print high dollar book. Finding the funds was another big issue but luck as would have it, funding turned out to not as hard as I expected . Plans for the tomb are for it to be published sometime in the next few years. I have a couple of other projects in front of it. Plus 1 more season of Campfire under my belt will free up some more time, at least I hope so.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:40 am

Jim,

I really look forward to this. Please consider us mortals when making your priorities. I would hate to die before reading this!

dd