I have this gray cat....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

I have this gray cat....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Ladies and Gents,
Due to a bad turn of fortune, we now own a gray tomcat with the unusual name of Ross. His sisters name is Betsy but she didn't make the trip up to our house from the barn! Ross' fur is a wonderful medium gray color and it dubs really well as most cat furs do!
Does anyone else make their pets nervous at the expense of a really great source of dubbing?
Dog owners are welcome to chime in too!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
daringduffer

Re: I have this gray cat....

Post by daringduffer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Dougsden,

I've posted pictures of my cat in another thread . The dubbing is excellent as is, but when dyed turmeric yellow/olive it's striking. Do yourself a favour and dye some of that cat. Should become beautiful baetis dubbing. My cat is not of a solid colour - it's black, dark brown, rust, yellow, cream - you name it. You've got yourself a good dubbing source...

(My dogs have very short, stiff guard hair and no underfur. Haven't used it - too short and too coarse, I think).

dd
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Lets just say that when the recipe calls for the curly hair of a liver colored spaniels ear, my English Springer, Ghillie, is hard to find. Actually, when we have him groomed, the groomer saves the hair thats cut from behind his ears for me. Dubs great.

Most of the time he's in his favorite dog bed, a leather La-Z-Boy recliner. The dog has class.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Jeeze, unplug that thing.....it's eyes are blinding me. :D Somebody (from some website years ago), sent me some Maine Coon Cat dubbing in 3/4 colors....i have no idea where it is............."somewhere." Stuff is great dubbing.....wish i knew where it is..... :lol:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Hey Doug ~ If you ever brush that gray cat, save some of the underfur for me :) .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Doug I have a friend that saves me his gray cat hair ,It really does dub nice.

John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Gentlemen,
I would be happy to send along any combings or clippings ol'Ross can spare. John, e-mail me your home address. Right now, Ross is on my lap and he's making it hard to type.
Anyone else? Remember, he's only got so much acreage and winter is hard upon us.
Darringduffer, I have been loosly following the posts about dying various materials with picric (spelling?) acid. Is this the same as you mentioned above in your post --ie-- turmeric yellow/olive? My guess is it's a dye color and not an acid or process as in picric acid. Am I getting close?
Does anyone remember the references made in his writings by the late G.E.M. Skues about McKaskies green cat? Skues claimed that the natural color of Mac's unusual cat was as green as a billiard table top. You don't suppose they dyed that poor animal live do you? Or worse yet, dipped him in acid? AHHHHHHHH.........
All for a good laugh (and I hope I accomplished that),
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:08 pm

R.E.E.,
My brother-in-law Rich has a spaniel that looks very much like yours. I have often wondered as I pet dear Morgan on the nogin what that fur would be like. Now I know! C'mere Morgan...
Dougsden
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:30 pm

I can see it now ,you will have to buy all your animals coats.

John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 am

DOUGSDEN wrote:Gentlemen,
I would be happy to send along any combings or clippings ol'Ross can spare. John, e-mail me your home address. Right now, Ross is on my lap and he's making it hard to type.
Anyone else? Remember, he's only got so much acreage and winter is hard upon us.
Darringduffer, I have been loosly following the posts about dying various materials with picric (spelling?) acid. Is this the same as you mentioned above in your post --ie-- turmeric yellow/olive? My guess is it's a dye color and not an acid or process as in picric acid. Am I getting close?
Does anyone remember the references made in his writings by the late G.E.M. Skues about McKaskies green cat? Skues claimed that the natural color of Mac's unusual cat was as green as a billiard table top. You don't suppose they dyed that poor animal live do you? Or worse yet, dipped him in acid? AHHHHHHHH.........
All for a good laugh (and I hope I accomplished that),
Dougsden
Turmeric is a spice you probably have in your kitchen. I just boiled some water, put a spoonful of turmeric in, agitated the solution and then put the fur in it. After a few minutes I added table salt and a few minutes later I rinsed well in cold water. It's important to rinse well because the turmeric isn't completely solvable this way. It's a very easy process and not scientific by any means. Probably Bill Bailey has a much better way to do it.

As I understand it, picric acid dye is supposed to have added value when reflecting light in a way similar to peacock herl. I don't know if it's true but am sure the thought of it is big medicine...

dd