Brahma hen cape vs Brahma hen soft hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

billc

Re: Brahma hen cape vs Brahma hen soft hackle

Post by billc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:47 pm

BruceC wrote:Hey Bill.
The only difference I can tell is that the Chickaboo patch is included with the cape. I have both and the feathers are identical other than the missing rump patch on the cape. As RnF points out, there are differences in shape between saddle patches (hen back), Indian Hen backs, and full capes. The samples I have are both capes; one with and one without the rump patch of chickaboo. Those feathers are the same shape, just minus the patch.

Best,
Bruce
Bruce,
Thanks for taking the time to flesh this out for me. btw that tabou caddis is a really great pattern and the reason I had some Brahma "soft hackle" hen around to play with. So when I order a "Whiting Brahma Hen soft hackle" I'm always getting a saddle and when I order a "Whiting Hen cap" I'm getting a .......well cape :D That makes sense. These "soft hackle" hen feathers are very nice and webby.......I'm thinking the cape feathers not as much? Do you turn to a cape when you are interested in tyinhg smallerr patterns

ps I have been able to tie down to #16 with these feathers but with alot of pruning

thanks again everybody
bill
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Jay,

I'm going to say no to being able to tie smaller than 14 with a brahma or coq de leon.......the neck/cape will heild some smaller hackles, but not in great numbers like a typical hen neck would
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Here are a few scans of the back of various Whiting products that try to define their feathers. I'm sure this will further confuse the issue. :)
Bruce
whiting2a.jpg
whiting2a.jpg (165.84 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
whiting2b.jpg
whiting2b.jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
Attachments
whiting1.jpg
whiting1.jpg (171.02 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
RnF

Post by RnF » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:46 pm

In general you won't be able to tie much smaller than size 16 with the saddles, there are some feathers on the hen capes that can go smaller, but like was mentioned, you won't have too many of them.

I use a technique that does allow you to tie smaller flies with those larger saddle feathers. I made a crappy video that demonstrates it pretty good. I have tied down to size 22 with the saddle feathers with it.

You can skip to about the 3 minute part to get to the hackle preparations.
http://www.utahflypatterns.com/index/?p=54
Scott D
billc

Post by billc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 pm

So with size not being a real factor what makes you choose to go with the cape vs. soft hackle feather. Color selection?
While I don't have alot of experience with the cape feathers, from the pics it looks like those sre a bit less webby than the soft hackle feathers . I'm sure learnging that not all hen hackle is equal :D. Had friends pick me up some at a show and they were as stiff as a rooster cape
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:27 pm

billc wrote:So with size not being a real factor what makes you choose to go with the cape vs. soft hackle feather. Color selection?
While I don't have alot of experience with the cape feathers, from the pics it looks like those sre a bit less webby than the soft hackle feathers . I'm sure learnging that not all hen hackle is equal :D. Had friends pick me up some at a show and they were as stiff as a rooster cape
The Whiting hen capes are quite nice. I would say they are about as good as the old Chinese and Indian rooster capes I used to get back in the 70s. That said, you'd have no trouble tying wets down to 18 with them -- it's just that the hackle may be "better" than you'd like.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:57 am

Brahma Hen Capes can tie down to size 20 and maybe smaller. The Shoulder back and saddle feathersd will tie down to size 16 maybe. 14 more typical .
These are now coming from Whiting as Cape and Saddle sets as are all Whiting hen products.
Jim
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Scott: The video is an excellent teaching tool despite the quality.

These guys are all right on about the feathers.
jcrumbacher

Post by jcrumbacher » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info on sizing guys,

Jay