Presentation Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Presentation Flies

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

I've just returned home after staring at Leisenring and Hidy flies for 5 days. What has become evident to me is that both men were fantastic tiers. What struck me as I sat and reflected on the flies was that these flies are basically presentation flies. The vast majority were perfect or near perfect (within reason of perfect) . Most anyone would be proud to tie at this level for a shadow box, but then realized that they were tied FOR FISHING, basically fishing flies.
Stories have been told of Leisenring's fishing abilities, legendary and in turn Western friends that Pete Hidy made later in life held Pete's ability in highestin the esteem as well. So my question is can flies tied with the utmost care and attention to detail be more effective then a fly hastily tied?
Jim
redietz

Re: Presentation Flies

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Jim Slattery wrote: So my question is can flies tied with the utmost care and attention to detail be more effective then a fly hastily tied?
I'd say probably not, but the person who ties such a fly is more likely to pay attention to other details which do make him/her a more effective angler.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:05 pm

I still think presentation in the drift is the key. I would venture to say that both men were as good a fishers as tyers.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Jim S. Howdy;

I think I'll agree with redietz.
Folks that are that fastidious about doing things will be so in most everything that they do.

Just my opinion,

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 pm

I believe their attention to detail is directly proportional to their love of tying and fishing. I see that same passion displayed in the flies posted on this forum.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 pm

I should have clarified, presentation being the same.
Jim
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:39 am

Jim,

It could be that they were a product of their time. Last weekend I ran into a cane rod maker with 39 years experience as a maker. No matter what taper, length or line weight you wanted, all of his rods were the same price. He only made one kind of rod, each one was the very best rod he could make. Jim and Pete were probably very much like that. Each fly was the very best fly they could make, no matter what they thought it might be used for.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 am

Ron,
I'm sure you are right on that. I know I strive for the best in my tying and artwork. It's my make-up. Leisenring was a toolmaker, dealing with exact measurements. This was reflected in his approach to fly fishing, and most likely passed on to his students as well. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:08 am

Leisenring and Hidy tied there flies to please the fish. That was their main concern. It is a point that was often repeated by Hidy in his subsequent work. Could it be that their flies were tied this way because they found them to work better then flies that were tied differently ?
I'm not so sure they were a product of there time, if anything they were an anomaly. From what old flies I have seen there was only a small handful of tiers that consistently tied their flies at a high level. How often do we hear that fish can't count or color is not important? You certainly could not convince either men that those factors were unimportant.
Jim
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

I had always though of them, from the tone of their writing as a couple fishers that, through dedicated time on the water and an eye for the most intimate detail, were able to take what is really a very generalist design and morph it into a specific imitation with features not easily seen by most first even second impressions.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com