vise

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: vise

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 pm

I have not used a norvice, but from what I have read it is a "love it or hate it" kind of deal. Very few reviews are in the middle. If your thinking of buying one, I would strongly recommend finding a shop that carries them and trying it out before buying it. Better to be safe when dropping a lot of money.

I have used a number of different vices, and my two favorite are the Danvice (very inexpensive true rotary vice) and the HMH Standard. The HMH Standard has multiple optional jaws designed for specific types of flies (tiny midge jaws, heavy duty salt water jaws, tube fly mandrel) as well as the standard omni jaws. I have been using the HMH Standard for the past five months and really enjoy it. At first I missed the true rotary feature of the Danvice. On the Danvice, the jaw could be adjusted so that the hook shank does not move when the vice rotates (very nice feature - with many advantages). The hook shank moves on the HMH vice (although it rotates 360°, I do not consider it a true rotary because the hook moves). I got used to the HMH vice after a couple weeks and now am very happy with it, overall.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:48 pm

i have a Nor Vise............all i use it for is making dubbing brushes..... :lol: Norm Norlander the company owner and designer of the vise is a VERY nice guy who gives GREAT service...............but all i can really see about the vise that makes it that popular, is it's ability to speed you up...........if you tye commercially, it's a dream come true. It WILL speed you up considerably. It also allows for tons of free hand room........GREAT in that sense as well.
The Jay Vise also comes with a tube fly attachment, which i forgot to mention as well, AND it is also DEAD TRUE Rotary. You can line up any size hook from a size 32 to an 8/0 at least, and the eye (ie: shank) will hold it's position while rotating, ABSOLUTE True rotary. And the one thing a Jay Vise will do that no other vise on the planet will do.....is hold, and i MEAN HOLD! hooks of any size. i sometimes use hooks in the 20/0 range, and i can stand up and push down on the 12 inch shanks, and they will NOT move. :D The puppy HOLDS!!!!! ;) You can't even get a size 10/0 in most ANY other vise made. :roll:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 am

well, i tested a norvise out this weekend with the midge jaw attachment and found it to hold hooks well and tying with it takes some getting use to but overall a good vise. thanks for everyones input.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

N.R.S., you find a location to buy the Jay Vise yet? Your gonna love it.....be sure to ask about the Wasatch Pedastal as well. The pedastal itself clamps to the edge of a table.....so you have the advantage of a pedastal and the C-clamp simultaineously. And the pedastal holds all your tools and gives you storage space for hooks and beads. ;)

newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 am

just ordered the vise this weekend and i should have it within 15 days. thanks for your help and i will keep you posted.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 am

Cool Beans.....BET! your gonna love it. Did you get both jaws, the standard and the midge? Oh btw.....if you use an electrical clip style hackle pliers.........Wasatch has a new one out which holds like crazy.....it's a DOOZY. And they have a HUGELY oversized one as well, but you'd prolly never need that. If you like that type though.....try the regular size one. It's PURRFECT! ;)

newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 am

willow,
you are correct. best vise to date! the midge jaws are interesting and work quite well. thanks for your suggestions. otto
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 am

Glad your enjoying the vise Otto.....i was talking with the Owner of Renzetti at a show in Texas a couple days ago and he was telling me he simply does not have time to make the changes to his vise that i would like to see "SOMEONE" finally come up with, so we could actually have "The Perfect Vise" come into existance.
1. vertical rotation
2. horizontal rotation
3. HOLDS! hooks up to 20/0
4. has an arm that will swing up and down in a full circle like a faris wheel for being able to "run" head dements/epoxy to the rear and or front of, or anywhere around, a head.....
5.Dead True Rotary, and Cam tightning.....
6. "Under" $700.

Hey! i don't ask for much.........not to mention.....whoever comes up with it...........is gonna retire early. :D ;) :lol: