Sylvester Nemes on Bead Heads...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Re: Sylvester Nemes on Bead Heads...

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Must be nice to fish on gently flowing, evenly paced streams, with long runs--unfortunately that's often a bit of a luxury out this way. While it was Hughes' comments on Neme's and later Nemes himself that got me hooked on the soft-hackle. I still think the bead has a place in the pocket water and roiling drops of our high gradient streams.

While I have faith in the unweighted soft-hackle as a beautiful weapon in the fly fisher's arsenal, I believe the lightly weighted fly also has a place.

Heresy, I know.

Aaron

Edit: I should point out that we are restricted to a single fly--sometimes without external weight--where I live. This colours my comments somewhat.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 pm

I think that all depends on the water you fish and the kind of fish you are after. Trout has the habit of coming up so you can fish in the toplayer of the water. If you have to fish in colored water on a fish species that stay near the bottom you have to go down with your flies or don't fish. If you are so lucky to live near a troutstream you can choose not to use a bead. If you live in the Netherlands and like to flyfish you have to adopt to the circumstances.

Thank you Aaron you have integrated the bead in the wingless wet! :)
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Ruard wrote:Thank you Aaron you have integrated the bead in the wingless wet! :)
I hardly think I could take credit for that. :D
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:18 pm

beads.... :roll: I just hate casting them. I wouldn't knock em though. In a slump, you just do what you gotta do sometimes, hit bottom. It takes all the fun out of casting though.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Well said, Mike. I introduced this thread to "stir the pot" a bit and it looks like it worked :) One of the things that I liked so much about this forum was that it was (and is) a "judgement free zone" (sorry for borrowing from a franchised gym outfit here in the states...). The members of this forum share information as opposed to criticizing each other to death. Like yourself, I adapt as the situation requires. I do fish small bead heads and have been known to put a small glass bead on a wingless wet from time to time. It's a personal preference that each us exercises each time we fish.

Cheers,
Bruce
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:39 pm

William Anderson wrote:beads.... :roll: I just hate casting them. I wouldn't knock em though. In a slump, you just do what you gotta do sometimes, hit bottom. It takes all the fun out of casting though.
Depends to some extent on the size/weight of the bead, but I I understand your point and tend to agree. The one thing I find truly distasteful is casting with external weight (splitshots and the like)--give me a beaded fly any day.

Aaron