bobbins for extra long spools

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

bobbins for extra long spools

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I have found some nice threads and stuff at Hancock Fabrics. However there is no bobbin I know that will fit that type of spool. The people at the store had no idea either. Are there bobbins out there like this? I bought a Rite Bobbin that I thought would work, but it doesn't even come close to working for these spools. I know this is a long shot, but I thought maybe somebody on here would know.
tie2fish

Re: bobbins for extra long spools

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Kelly ~ I've always re-spooled stuff like than onto empty standard bobbins, but wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum hasn't seen or developed a holder that would work for you.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:46 pm

If you had a sewing machine, you might be able to rethread on a fly spool. But to do this very small thread would be hard to get it smooth, and even. If someone does know of somebody who has made one, converted one, or whatever, I'd love to hear about it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Kelly - You could try a Griffin Large Rod Wrapping Bobbin (http://www.anglersworkshop.com/items.aspx?catid=1510). Standard rod wrapping spools are wider than the ones used for tying thread. You could also bend the arms a bit to accommodate wider spools of thread. If the spools are much wider, you may need to respool onto a smaller empty spool. I've done this using a cordless drill and wooden dowel to hold the empty spool. (this was a more manly solution than using my wifes sewing machine :lol: )
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:20 pm

That one just may do the trick. Thanks Ray!!