Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Tongue-tied and twisted...

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 pm

CB, Howdy;

:o :o :o :o :o

hank

I think my lower jaw may come up from the floor somtime next week
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 am

This whole series has been pretty amazing right from the start, but these last three are simply killer dressings. The first really new technique I've seen in a while. Steelhead for sure, landlocks are probable, striped bass when tied in larger sizes, maybe even marlin ... ? The potential is staggering.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 am

Ha, thanks for indulging me, guys--a solution looking for a problem, no doubt, but it's fun to fiddle with the structure of fly patterns. Just so I don't mislead anybody, though, I nicked the "twist" from Hans--http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... rest#p9981--though no doubt he has a more elegant solution to getting it all on the hook. :)

At any rate, if you had a more scientific approach to fishing than I do (not to mention pickier fish :) ) it would be interesting to compare the effectiveness of these "full dress" flymphs with those tied with the classic spider components of hook/thread/hackle. What I suspect is that while the former might look more "natural" to us, the flicker and flutter of the spider would take more fish, if only because there are fewer things to go wrong. For instance, the orange floss softie that Ray just posted would probably out fish my "salmon" pattern 10-1, and he wouldn't have to switch to a bass-bug taper to get it on the water. :lol:
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:32 pm

tie2fish wrote:This whole series has been pretty amazing right from the start, but these last three are simply killer dressings. The first really new technique I've seen in a while. Steelhead for sure, landlocks are probable, striped bass when tied in larger sizes, maybe even marlin ... ? The potential is staggering.
Ditto. I'm just thoroughly impressed with the whole bunch. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a few folks to conduct your comparison field study. My address is... :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:02 am

I suppose I've about run these Fibonacci Flymphs into the ground, but I had one more combination I wanted to try:

At least they're not orange.... :lol: At any rate, I was surprised by how well-behaved the starling/herl twist was--not nearly as fragile as I'd feared. If I fished to midges, I could definitely see a Stewart's Spider/Grifith's Gnat mash-up, or, if I could get ahold of those nifty Waspi eye-sticks in "sulphur," I'd definitely be inclined to try a light-colored emerger like this one. :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 pm

CB, please don't stop this series. It's not so much about when your satiated with the flies...it's really about us. So, come on...keep em coming. What was the under-hackle on this one? and is the partridge a full wrap or fibers in a loop? Beautifully done. and very descriptive pics too.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:01 pm

What was the under-hackle on this one?
Ha, William--I should have warned those of a traditionalist bent to avert their eyes. :) At any rate, that's a starling underhackle and a conventionally hackled partridge feather in front--I'd call it a Greenwell's flymph, but that would be wrong. Very wrong. :) Might fish it it to a Quill Gordon hatch this spring, though.... :roll:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 pm

CreationBear, Howdy;

Woah, ... shut the front door, ... whoop-whoop, ... Franklin Delano ...
and a wet shot ta boot ... with out us having to ask...
DY-NO-MITE !!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 pm

WHAT? these are wonderful, expressive and look deadly.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I'll never be tired of these ones.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.