Leisenring's book

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Silver Doctor

Leisenring's book

Post by Silver Doctor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm been looking for the Art of tying by Leisenring and Hilty for quite some time now. Did the ebay and Amazon thing but it seemed to elude me and always go for more than my budget, plus the Canadian dollar and shipping doesn't help. Was walking by a used book store earlier today and noticed a very pristine copy that the sales girl was just putting in the window. I was stunned, almost couldn't react especially after looking for it for so long. Nervously went in and asked the price. Minutes later I was out of the store and two dollars and fifty cents lighter. Giggling like a kid I can't wait to dig into it. It's the 71 fourth printing. :D :D
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
DOUGSDEN

Re: Leisenring's book

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:10 pm

DEAREST DR.,
WE ALL REJOICE WHEN A BROTHER FINDS A GREAT BOOK AT BARGAIN BSMT. PRICES. WHICH BOOK IS IT AGAIN?
FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, I PAID $45.00 FOR LEISENRING AND HIDY'S BOOK "THE ART OF TYING THE WET FLY AND FISHING THE FLYMPH". TO WHICH MY WIFE IMMEDIATELY LAID DOWN AND GAVE BIRTH TO A COW. I KNEW IT WAS ALOT BUT TO ME, IT WAS WORTH IT.
DO YOU VISIT THIS BOOKSTORE OFTEN? MAY WE GIVE YOU REQUEST?
GOOD JOB DR. BE SURE TO GIVE US A DECENT BOOK REVIEW WHEN YOU ARE DONE!
DENBOUND.....DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Great find. I purchased the 1971 edition in 1972 for $4.50. I also paid $45 for my latest copy about 10 years ago or so. I'm hoping I'll locate another copy at a garage sale, flea market, thrift store or the like.

Enjoy it. You got a great deal.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm

SD,

You're on the Island aren't you. I have a great bookstore in Nanaimo that I frequent (in fact I'm going there tomorrow). The owner unfortunately researches the value of his books, but he has a keen eye and has managed to accumulate a real collection of fly fishing and tying books -- I picked up a 2nd edition Polly Rosborough, Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymph last year for $8.50. Worth a visit.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Congratulations on finally getting a copy of the book, especially at that price. I recently bought an original 1941 edition (4th printing) from E-bay. It is a very good read.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 pm

skunkaroo wrote:SD,

You're on the Island aren't you. I have a great bookstore in Nanaimo that I frequent (in fact I'm going there tomorrow). The owner unfortunately researches the value of his books, but he has a keen eye and has managed to accumulate a real collection of fly fishing and tying books -- I picked up a 2nd edition Polly Rosborough, Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymph last year for $8.50. Worth a visit.

Aaron
No I'm actually in Calgary, but haunt the interior of BC and the island for trout. And the north of BC for Steelhead. Have found a number of beautiful old volumes in small towns. Love old books. Just finished reading a wonderful little book I picked up at a yard sale in Rockey Mountain House, called "How to Take Trout on Wet Flies and Nymphs" by Ray Ovington (1970). Love these little treasures.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Ray Ovingtons book is awesome. His nymph tying and fishing mentor Eddie Sens in a lot of ways is the father of the nymph as we now know it.