Some materials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

Re: Some materials

Post by wayneb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Mike;

glad to see your back posting on the web, I was one at FAOL that was sorry to see you go!

So most of the classic patterns with silk bodies used some type of wax to increase/create the translucent effect of the silk thread? If so, do you know if the following is the right stuff: http://greatfeathers.com/preparedflytierswax.aspx

Also, do you have any experience with YLI silk 100 thread?

Thanks;

Wayneb
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:17 am

@Mike

OMG...! Your effort is amazing! THANK YOU FOR POSTING!

Question about coot - have You ever try to use coot feathers as substitue for CDC? (Well, YES - it's kind of strange question for wingless wets forum, but nevertheless - CDC can be used for wets, too!) Coot feathers from back or chest, looks as CDC - greased, stem and barbules lays in one plane... a litle bit too large, but most of them just looks as type 1 CDC feather and there are lots of them on just one bird... Hence the question!
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Mike,

I have complimented your work before but it did not do you justice. You have compiled some of the most exhaustive research and information I have ever know by any one person. Your willingness to share this information cost free is a tribute to your love of the sport. I know there have been others as well as myself who have prompted you to have your work published although to no avail.

I have taken your website you sent me as well as downloaded all of the information you post and am compiling your work for you. My grandchildren will have a head start I could only ever dream of having.

Thank you sir.
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Mike. Thanks for the wonderfully descriptive posts. Seems like you've got the makings of a great magazine piece here. Just a quick question for you... While hunting in Newfoundland a while back, the guides took what they called "Ptarmigan". You had mentioned above that these were not native to North America. I'm wondering if the guides used the name Ptarmigan as a generic, non specific species. They were shot above the timber line in the Grey River area of south western Newfoundland.

Thanks,
Bruce C
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the clarification.
Cheers,
Bruce