HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:17 pm

I am trying to re-organize my hooks. I need more flymph type hooks, spider hooks, and general small nymph hooks. (well down to a 16 at the most, 14 and up preferably)

I would like a set of lighter hooks, and a set of heavier hooks. I want to go ahead and mark these on a soft hackle hook box. My favorite overall hook is Daiichi. But I have used just about every brand of hook there is. Please give me your favorites. If you tried one and hated it, let me know that too. So please help a gal out here. I am going to have to redo some hook boxes, because I have dry flies mixed with wet, with streamers, from different brands, and it is all maddening. I just want to try to put the hooks in some kind of logical order.
narcodog

Re: HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Post by narcodog » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:05 pm

For s/h's I use Daiichi 1550 and 1560 90% of the time. For swaps I usually use Alec Jackson hooks although I now have some Dave Brandt spider hooks that I'll use.

For everything else I use old Mustads, 90% of the time.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Orvis's beadhead hooks are worth a try, I like using them for SH's.
Old Mustad's are great too but, If you like to fish barbless flattening these can be hard due to them being mostly hollow. If you aren't careful they just break and cause the barb to be very rigid and possibly harming the trout even more.

Daiichi 1550's, 1640's great hooks. I like using the 1640's for SH's.. from time to time I'll tie up some traditional wets and the 1550's are great for that.

Another hook worthy of note here is Dohiku. Kinda pricey but, incredibly strong and certainly eye catching.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm

For most spiders Daiichi 1640. Love that 2X short shank. Also have used Daiichi 1110 for spiders. Use Daiichi 1550 for most other wet flies.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Thank you for the replies so far, that really helps. Now I feel silly, but what is SH or s/h...I think it is the same thing, but I am not sure what it stands for. :oops:
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:08 pm

narcodog wrote:For s/h's I use Daiichi 1550 and 1560 90% of the time. For swaps I usually use Alec Jackson hooks although I now have some Dave Brandt spider hooks that I'll use.

For everything else I use old Mustads, 90% of the time.
I loved the soft hackle hooks by Alec Jackson. I just bought some recently. I do not know about Dave Brandt, but will look at that. S/H to me means shipping and handling...lol.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Smuggler wrote:Orvis's beadhead hooks are worth a try, I like using them for SH's.
Old Mustad's are great too but, If you like to fish barbless flattening these can be hard due to them being mostly hollow. If you aren't careful they just break and cause the barb to be very rigid and possibly harming the trout even more.

Daiichi 1550's, 1640's great hooks. I like using the 1640's for SH's.. from time to time I'll tie up some traditional wets and the 1550's are great for that.

Another hook worthy of note here is Dohiku. Kinda pricey but, incredibly strong and certainly eye catching.
I have a few packs of those Orvis hooks. Funny you mentioned them. I have never heard of Dohiku, but I will look at them too.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Orvis hooks are made by Daiichi. With the hundreds of Mustads I have used I think I have broken just a handful of hooks. That's over thirty years of using them.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 pm

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!!! Wow, I am surprised. I liked them for beadhead nymphs, but didn't realize Daiichi made them. NO WONDER I like those hooks...lol.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:56 pm

narcodog wrote:Orvis hooks are made by Daiichi. With the hundreds of Mustads I have used I think I have broken just a handful of hooks. That's over thirty years of using them.
Oh yea I've never broken the hook itself, just sometimes the barb shatters when trying to flatten it.

And Kelly, I was just typing SH for soft-hackle, hah.. I'm a lazy typist :lol:
Last edited by Smuggler on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.