HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Post by daringduffer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Since I practise c&r, I have stopped using klinkhamer type hooks years ago, as have a lot of my friends. Our experience is that they are more difficult to remove without un-neccessary impact on the fish. If one fishes to keep the fish this is of less concern. But even if you fish for the pot you have to release under-sized fish. I am not sure whether it is the design of the fly or of the hook that is the reason. At least "my" grayling get hooked much deeper with that hook. I just might have been un-lucky, but I prefer not to experiment to be sure. I want my fish to be hooked in the scissors.

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Is this the regular Klinkhammer, or the EXTREME Klinkhammer hook?
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:20 pm

I realize this is sort of like preaching to the choir but I have to ask any way. I just received my Hook and Hackle catalog. Checking on hook prices is a Tiemco of the same basic design worth a 78 percent mark up over a Mustad hook?

Regards, Jerry
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Jerry, i "think" you know the answer to that? :D Kelly, i found you (finally) a copy of the Daiichi Fly Tyers Guide. i'll send it along. i wanted to send you two of them, because it's double sided, and if you wanted to post it on the wall, you'd need two of them ;) ........i'll keep looking and see if i can hunt up another. i know it's here somewhere......... :roll:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:54 am

Hans does recognise a Klinkhamer on small hooks. I have actually spoken to him about this and he showed me some that were on a size 24 hook. The hooks were made espacially for him so we will never see them commercially.
The important thing to remember is that Hans designed a big fly for a specific purpose and to be fished in a certain way.
We have taken it to a new level by trying to tie them smaller and fish them differently.
And BTW I hate the word 'Klink' and I hate parachute flies tied on a edge hook classed as a 'Klinkhamer'.
daringduffer wrote:Image

D1167 - KLINKHAMER - BLACK NICKEL

Newly designed by Hans Van Klinken and personally recomended by him, these new Klinkhamer hooks are sized sensibly! - the size 12 hook is approximately the same size as the size 18 Partridge Klinkhamer hook.

Hans Van Klinken does not recognise a "klinkhamer" fly tied on any hook smaller than a 14 so sadly that is the smallest hook in the range ... at present.

Flat section at eye, continuous bend, wide gape
Level Eye
1 X standard wire
“mini-barb”
Black Nickel finish
25 hooks per pack
http://www.flytyingboutique.com/store/D ... ategory=11 There you will find Grip and Dohiku as well...

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 am

Thank you Mark. Have a ton of comparison lists printed off for my personal use. They go into a notebook. If there are just a few pages to a catalog, don't worry about having to send two. If they are big enough, one could go on the wall.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 am

daringduffer wrote:Image

D1167 - KLINKHAMER - BLACK NICKEL

Newly designed by Hans Van Klinken and personally recomended by him, these new Klinkhamer hooks are sized sensibly! - the size 12 hook is approximately the same size as the size 18 Partridge Klinkhamer hook.

Hans Van Klinken does not recognise a "klinkhamer" fly tied on any hook smaller than a 14 so sadly that is the smallest hook in the range ... at present.

Flat section at eye, continuous bend, wide gape
Level Eye
1 X standard wire
“mini-barb”
Black Nickel finish
25 hooks per pack

dd
The presentation of the hook is not mine, it's quoted from the site I linked to. My experience with klinkhamer type hooks don't include the "Extreme" version as I had quit using them by then.

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 am

alrighty then dd, thank you!
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Having met and hung out with Hans.....i find it extremely hard to believe he "doesn't recognize"..........blah blah blah.............that's absurd. His sense of humor and personality just aren't like that. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com