HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 am

Yes, Ronn is very talented. I like to look at his hook stuff on his site. I already knew about him. He is a world class tyer. Unbelievable talent.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

You outta see this old classic antique car he has in his garage............it's like a 1938 (i think) somethin' or other, and he's restoring it........mighta got it finished by now...........it's amazing. Guess that's his "hobby"......... :lol: You'd flip if you ever got over to his crib.........it's a TRIP! He has tyers get-togethers over there.....BBQ type a deals.........(his wife is so sweet and gracious), and he broadcast these "get-togethers" over the internet, live..... :D
"What-a-guy!" ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Wow, I didn't know that. That is very cool for sure. He broadcasts the event? Now that is unreal. I want to know when he does that. I'd like to see. I bet it is super cool! :D
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:11 pm

it IS cool.....i watched one once.....live from his house and i was in Roscoe.....it was very cool.....bunch of different tyers all doin' one fly, each taken their turn at a part of the dressing...............tail.....body, wing, whatever............you may be able to find out (course that's even IF he's still doin' such things), when the next one might be, by goin' to faol......... ;) ........you know, fly anglers on line.........just send him a pm and ask.....

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I finally got those Kamasan hooks in today. The shape is exactly like a Alex Jackson hook. However I got a size 14, and it is a little shorter than a size 13 Alex Jackson hook. I should of got a size 12, and 10...ten for sure. The Kamasan is not silver, but it is the same style for sure.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Kelly.....where do i go, "On-Line" to get the Alec Jackson wet fly hooks? Tkx., ;)

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Jim's Fly Co :D
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:41 am

Kelly L. wrote:I finally got those Kamasan hooks in today. The shape is exactly like a Alex Jackson hook. However I got a size 14, and it is a little shorter than a size 13 Alex Jackson hook. I should of got a size 12, and 10...ten for sure. The Kamasan is not silver, but it is the same style for sure.
Kelly,
The sizing of the Kamasan B525 is somewhat odd, or off. They are one size smaller than what it says on the package; a size 12 is in reality a size 14 and so on. Probably has to do with it being a coarse fishing hook. My guess is that this Kamasan, the Daiichi 1480 and one of the Alec Jackson's hooks are all the same (with different finish), and made by Maruto Dohitomo.

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:09 am

Ah, thank you. Well that explains it then!! :D
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:03 am

I just measured Alec Jackson North-Country and Soft-Hackle hooks in size 15. The package calls them both 2x short. In reality the S-H hook is one hook-eye length shorter than the N-C. S-H is called 1x fine. I measured the wire to 0,39mm. the N-C wire was 0,41 mm. Kamasan B525 in size 16 is 0,39mm wire and seems to be of identical length as the S-H size 15. I can't swear on it, as I was only comparing them side-by-side using my eyes. The big (and only?) difference is the finish - Alec Jackson S-H and N-C are "silver" and Kamasan "light bronze". I have not handled Daiichi 1480 in person.

Kamasan B525 equivalent ( bought under other name) in size 14 has wire dia 0,41 and has the same gape as N-C but is one hook-eye length shorter.

More or less confusion?

dd