HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: HOOK REVIEWS hopefully from many here on this forum

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:39 am

More detail, less confusion. The Daiichi 1480 has a bronze finish. I think it only goes up to a size 12 though. The Kamasan hook is much smaller than the Mustad hooks are in size 14. (Mustad 94840) You can get the Mustad all the way up to a size 8.

I do not have the Daiichi 1480, I don't think. I believe I will be reorganizing my hooks today. I may find hooks I did not realize I had...lol.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 pm

I thought I had a Mustad 94842...as someone mentioned that for flymphs. I don't have that hook, and I thought I did. (or at least I did not see it) I did a comparison, and it shows Daiichi carries a comparable hook 1330. I will order some in the future, but I want to go ahead and label the box. So, what sizes are the best for flymphs in your opinion? Lowest to highest. I thought two 21 slot hook boxes would hold this stuff, but it won't. I wrote down hooks from here, and came up with 49 varieties and sizes right off the bat. I ordered another 21 slot box from Umpqua. I still have not even put in the old Mustad classics....they are scattered in different boxes. But I made a list of what I had, and I will probably put them in older Craft Mate boxes, as time permits. I ordered quite a few hooks from Jim's Fly Co....but I still need more. It will have to wait, but I will go ahead and have the boxes ready, for when I can afford to add to the collection. I have a lot of scud hooks from Daiichi too. Daiichi 1120. I also have Daiichi 1120 scud hooks too. Then I was going over my list, and decided I must have the Daiichi 1330, so if you can help me with the best fish catchin' sizes, I'd appreciate it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Kelly - I would suggest sized ranging from 16 (small end) up to size 8 (large end), with sizes 12 & 14's being the sweet spot. I have tyed soft hackles on hooks up to size 6 (with excellent response from the fish), but generally folks tye these in sizes 12 or smaller.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 pm

I key in on size 12 and 14. Thank you Ray. I will get all those sizes, eventually. I loved your post, very helpful!! Thank you! :D
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Ah, the hook addiction claims another victim .... :D I just bought some more hooks off eBay, Dai-Riki 125 emerger hooks in sizes 12 and 14. I have no idea how many hooks I have now, probably more than 5,000. One of these days I may have to actually sit down and tie a few flies. ;)
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 pm

LOL..yes. I have a few Dai-Riki hooks, and I've liked them. Mostly I have smaller hooks by them. (well what I call small) Dry fly, nymph mainly. I have a lot of different kinds of hooks, by different companies. But I don't have a large volume of one model. (the exception would be M3665A, and I have probably 200 in size 2) A lot of my hooks are in a slot I have 25 or less. I am weeding out some hooks, decided I prefer other brands, and what not. Daiichi is my overall favorite for strength, sharpness, and price. Gamakatsu is wonderful, but more expensive. But I also have a lot of Mustad too, and several others. I am going to try out Togen as well. I could fit all my hooks into one plastic tub box. So, I don't have as many as one might think. :D When you pretty much tie one or two kids of flies, say nymphs and dries...you don't have many hooks. When you tie just about everything known to mankind...then you need a much larger hook selection, or at least that's is how I try to justify it.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:02 am

Kelly,

I don't know the value of this hook reference chart but found it when searching for your flymph hook. Maybe you could check it out and tell us...?
http://www.flyofthemonthclub.com/page.asp?p=24&i=66

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 am

For what it's worth, Great Feathers is currently selling their entire Grip hook inventory at 50% off, and has just received a shipment of Partridge hooks, both wet and dry styles.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:30 am

Bill - I swear you're trying to make me go broke... (friendly humor)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 am

letumgo wrote:Bill - I swear you're trying to make me go broke... (friendly humor)
It's just that I so much enjoy seeing the things you tie with these materials, Ray.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"