Fly styles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Fly styles

Post by willowhead » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Women are like street cars.............you miss one, you'll catch another............... :lol:

No Rahsaan Roland Kirk...........Jethro Tull woulda been up **** creek, wiff, OR wiffout. :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Love "water dog" for otter, but as for "wams" I'm afraid to ask... :lol:
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23 pm

CreationBear wrote:Love "water dog" for otter, but as for "wams" I'm afraid to ask... :lol:
The hair from various "water dogs" ( dogs used for hunting ducks etc) was also used.

A Wams is a doublet;

http://www.neheleniapatterns.com/english/rhs502.html

TL
MC
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Ha...thanks for the definiton: a web search turns up, ah, some questionable practices; I think I'll stick with OED from now on. :)
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 pm

willowhead wrote:Women are like street cars.............you miss one, you'll catch another............... :lol:
Hmmm..........if you have already caught one and say something like that, then you will catch Hell! :)

TL
MC
Last edited by Mike Connor on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 pm

CreationBear wrote:Ha...thanks for the definiton: a web search turns up, ah, some questionable practices; I think I'll stick with OED from now on. :)
I had trouble finding the definition for you. As you wrote, a lot of weird stuff turns up in some searches.

Also, using that as a rhyme was a bit of poetic licence on my part, as you would doubtless have to remove more than just the doublet from an Andalusian maiden in order to find the dubbing you are looking for. ( Assuming you were only looking for dubbing!). Probably better to stick with wild ram's testicles and similar, it's probably safer! :)

The myth about using hair from specific parts of Raven haired Andalusian maidens as dubbing for deadly flies arose just after the introduction of Andalusian blue poultry to England. I don't suppose there is any truth at all to it, and I have (sadly!) never had the opportunity to try it.

TL
MC
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:39 am

Mike,

As always thanks for the excellent food for thought!! :idea:
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I have deactivated North Country Angler's account, indefinitely. This is due to the disrespect and accusations posted regarding Mike's information. I personally do not care if Mike is spot on accurate about what he posts as that is not the issue. Discussions on this forum should be carried out in a manner that respects each person's views and opinions. We each see things differently from different aspects and experiences. Different opinions and differing information can be posted without personal attacks. Please understand I do not enjoy keeping anyone out of the forum who has something to contribute in a positive manner, with respect for others.

I have left what I feel is the best information from the original post of Mike's. Anyone can continue the conversation with reasonable respect to each other.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank you, Mark.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Hopefully Mike will return in the future. He has the resources that most of don't have and I appreciate his effort.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."