Peak/Giraffe/Mckenzie tying lights?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

CreationBear

Peak/Giraffe/Mckenzie tying lights?

Post by CreationBear » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Well, enough of my in-laws have made inquires about gift certificates now that I think it's safe to say I'm getting something for Christmas. :) I'm curious: how many of y'all are using the moveable "spot lights" made by Peak, Giraff, or MacKenzie as your main tying light? I'm looking to upgrade from my 13 watt Ott clamp-on, so any thoughts and reviews will be appreciated.
Kelly L.

Re: Peak/Giraffe/Mckenzie tying lights?

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:08 pm

I use a Daylight brand tying light with magnifier. Love the light. The magnifier is just okay.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 pm

CB, Howdy;

Found one of these in a yard sale;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... t103884480

Works fine for me. I leave the base attached to the dinette table and fold and wrap it up when I travel.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Hank - How do you like that light? I almost asked for one for Christmas, but took it off the list since I had never played with one before. Would you recommend it? This may be just the ticket for my aging eyes.

Jon (CreationBear) - I do not use the lights that you asked about, so I can not comment on their effectiveness. I currently use three lights over my tying desk. I have two flood lights and an under-shelf flourescent bulb. The flood lights are mounted on each side of my desk, just above eye level. Each floodlight contains a a full spectrum compact flourescent bulb (Daylight Color = 6500 °Kelvin Temperature = similar to natural sunlight). The bulbs are GE Energy Smart bulbs (Model 26W FLE26HT3/2/D) and which give off LOTS of light (1600 Lumens). The thing I like about these bulbs is that they run fairly cool (minimal fire hazard) and last for 8000 Hours. Not bad for a $7 dollar bulb.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys--I'm still a "kitchen table" tyer, so being able to set-up and take down quickly is still pretty important to me. I'm not dissatisfied with the Ott light--though the ballast is showing signs of going--but the older my eyes get, the more options I'm willing to consider. :)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Ray, Howdy;

It's a bit bulky. needs a bit of 'elbow room' but it does work for me... The lower arm is 18" and the upper arm is 20" long (yep,
I measured them). Know how you engineers are about that kind of stuff.
Folds-up nicely and stays put when I want it to. Has some small twist-to-tighten Knobs at the middle and near the light head
so the tension can be set to your likeing. In the Cabela's wright-ups I don't think those folks that didn't like the 'spring tension'
knew about the tension knobs. The transformer is in the pedistal base (heavy, 2 or 3 lbs.). Has a C-clamp action that holds it
where I want it. The lens is a 3 or 5 power. Works well with my bi-focials, when I use the reader part. Wouldn't have been able
to tye those swap flys without it...
Works for ME ... your mileage may vary.... Cabela's does have a "NO QUESTIONS" return policy..... Take one for a "test drive"

hank
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:26 pm

"Wouldn't have been able to tye those swap flys without it..."

Hank - That's good enough for me! I saw your swap flies and was extremely impressed. Lately I can use all the help (magnification) I can get. I think I need to visit the eye doctor for a new set of glasses. Either that, or switch back to larger flies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:38 pm

I've tried that style of light before (with the magnifing glass in the center), and found for me, at least, my depth of field went nuts. I have bifocles, but use drugstore reading glasses to tie with. 3.25 magnification works well for me. I use an Ott daylight lamp from Lowe's as my main light source, with a cheapie clamp arm lamp for general lighting.
If Cabella's has a money-back guarantee, then I'd try the magnifying lamp. Nothing to lose, and you might really like it.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Ray, Howdy;

I used to have a few (2 or 3), of a similar style lamps that were only lights.
Had some 'rustic' style tables they were made of 2X6 lumber, stained and urathaned [sp?],
(came with ex-wife #3 the Esther wench), I drilled 1/2" holes to mount the lamps. Yep, got hollered at
but then she saw the maddness behind the method.
Could probably do the same if the Base/Transformer doesn't fit neatly on the edge of the desk you made.

hank
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Been through just bout every tyin' light there is at one time or the other.........3 different McKenzies actually......one still works :lol: but they burn way to hot. Mostly i use Ott and Daylight.......they're the best. Ray just go with bigger flies. :D :lol: ..........you will eventually anyway.......... :P :P "Happens to the best of 'em." Cabela's return policy is GREAT........no questions asked. ;) Been there, done that. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com