Am I anal or what?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

Re: Am I anal or what?

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:30 pm

First off Phil the ones you don't want... send them to me. They will still catch fish or I'll get them to Casting for Recovery.
Secondly, your love for the tying is in your perspective. It doesn't matter if anyone does it your way. It's the love and passion we all have for the thing we do best.
Your flies look great. Enjoy them. The fish will.
And Willow what do you mean 'you thought you were the only one that's nutz.' Silly boy.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Yep. Anal! :lol:

I give the worst of my ties to my husband! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems he catches just about as many fish as me. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Ariel.....it is YOU who used the word "only," not i. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 am

kanutripr wrote:Yep. Anal! :lol:

I give the worst of my ties to my husband! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems he catches just about as many fish as me. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vicki
I just love this Vicki. Superb.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:55 am

flyfishwithme wrote:I was sitting down tonight tying up a whole new box of 'spiders' for next season (actually about 500 in total) and I was thinking to myself.
I am pedantic when I tie a fly. If I feel that half way through it will not meet my high standard, then I start again. Even after I have finished I will scrutinise i in detail and again discard it if I am not satisfied.
So what I end up with is a bunch of flies that meet my exacting standards. They all look the same when I pick through them.
So why is it when I get to the water and select a fly I pick through all of these same flies to try and find that single fly which I think is better than the rest but in fact is exactly the same?
Am I anal about this or do you guys do the same thing?
Tonight I am tying up 30 Winged Greenwell's spiders if you are interested.
Yes, you are anal. But then again, so am I. We just want the best we can do. There isn't a thing wrong with that.
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi Phil,
I like to use the term perfectionist. I myself being a perfectionist know that perfection can never be achieved, which I suppose means that by definition Perfectionist are insane. :roll:
I have often tied flies and was never happy with any of them and walk away in disgust only to come back sometime later, look at the flies and realize the flies aren't really that bad....
Jim
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Jim, everything is perfect in its own right, not againt something else that looks similar but isnt the same , but as an individual entity...

Yheap, you got it, fine talk coming from another perfectionist :D But we have to have some excuse for the rough ones ..
What you say about gping back to the flies and they dont look half bad as when you lef em rings toooo true ;) Just goes to show how much we all strive for the best we can do at what we love doin..
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:10 pm

flcik......i can relate to that big time.............out of the 25 to 30,000 (probably more), performances i worked, i wonder how many ever went perfectly...........musically or audio wise...........yet in their own way, each and every one was "perfect." Simply because it was SO REAL! There was NEVER anything, faked or rigged or artificial........each and every one, was totally honest, with all participants completely and professionally consummed in their involvement. And any and all mistakes that may of hapened, we're always corrected with precision timing and maximum effort. Thass as close to perfect as you ever gonna get when you have human beings in the equation. And the audiences were a testiment to that. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com