roughies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fleaflicker

roughies

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm

yes, rough flies, rough pics, they were even tied in a rough condition in the mountains, fishing a welsh mountain reservoir...

I am very much the tie as you go type flyfisher... Minimalist materials, tying tools & very minimal tackle.... Sometimes i like to do away with hatch matching all togeather & on the mountain stream you can get away with doing just so.
I enjoy not being lumbered with much gear at all... A box of flies, my cane rod, a small napsack of good eats ...
Fishing your way round a large reservoir can be tiring underfoot for the whole day, the lighter and less you have to carry, the better... I often take a few cards of spun bodies on my adventures, sometimes i come accross sheep wool and various furs in barb wire fences, horse hair and the odd plumage wafting around in the breeze etc etc which, when on the move in the hills can provide one with enough material to fool a lusty opportunistic trout....

Heres a couple pics of two flies i lashed in the hand...They were tied with what i had to hand in the wallet.
A couple of each and they duely fooled their fair share of wild maountain reservoir trout as well as many fish from the stream below the dam...

This one has a prespun body from a tuppy mix of seals fur over waxed primrose silk.. A prespun body in the windy hills is a god send...
Hackle is greenwell
head as body

This one is hare over waxed hot orange silk
Greenwell hen with peacock head

In a pinch they were perfect for the day in june, trout were looking up in the reservoir and they were happy to smash what landed..

In the past i have taken way too much care with flies.. these days I often go by the rougher the better .. Saprse and rough, full & rough, with a turn or two of sharper hen for placid water, an extra turn or two for the rougher riffs, and sometime you can throw all that out the window :D

Cheers
Flick
Last edited by fleaflicker on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: roughies

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Fantastic! I would fish that fly in a heartbeat. WOW! I can't wait to try this myself. Thanks for sharing Flick.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Tied in hand on the stream or in a vise in one's home, both of these look to be fish magnets. More than a few accomplished fishermen insist that "beat up" flies (roughies, if you will) outfish prim and proper ones, and these two look like something I should be adding to my boxes.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Hahahaha

Now this is my kinda fly! Mine have a tendency towards that 'rough' look too! Awesome fishers though!!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

tie2fish wrote:Tied in hand on the stream or in a vise in one's home
Actually ,in hand on the side of a reservoir at 1800' with a harsh wind right on my neck, Hence why i mentioned prespun bodies are a god send in the mountains :D No fumbling around tring to get any fur to stay on the silk when wrapping :D ... Straight off the card and onto the hook .. Wings are the biggest pain in the arris to tie in hand so flymphs are nice enad enjoying to tie in such manner..... Before i bought the book (hidy/liesenring) i initially thought that this (prespun bodies) was the reason to make and store them, go figure.... Previously i had gone about things by making what i called whisps of fur and kept them in a flat cigarette tin, these could be tied in and then twisted with the thread and wound, something i came to realise quite sometime ago was that this whispy way of keeping a dubbed body to hand was an already established method of dubbing a dry fly body in the States... I believe Mary Dette still ties some of her flies this way in the dette fasion (roscoe/NY) ...... I didnt make a big habbit of tying streamside and still dont to a great extent as it is not a quick as doing it on the vise , but a prespun dubbing brush body will save a lot of fuss and time when you need to do so :D ....

PS. tails of the tuppy rough one is lemon woody.. Though not native to wales i do like it and cant resist stocking up on a few feathers when possible, which reminds me, i need some.

Flick
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm

After rummaging through a few boxes this is another one of the saved culprits i had fished on the same team as Orange bedragglement.. The olive ones i cannot find though i do have a pic of the winged variety i will put up shortly...

Purple silk
a rib of cock pheasant
starling hackle
and again i have added a slip of primary feather oer the thorax

If i was to revisit the patterens i would use the same type pattern in hook but lighter wire, although these are no where near as heavy as they look.. I believe them to be partridge but could not swear on it, very round, very short, a barb which i dislike for these would need a filing off rather than a pinch....

Background is of sheep wool i find on the mountain whilst out foolin trout :D

Flick
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

oops.. the above purple flies should have been with the orange bedragglement post :shock: Not here.Oh well
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Your right Flick, Mary still does use what she calls "Noddles" to do her bodies on many of her (the Dette style/Catskill style), flies.....specially dries.
Your flies are wonderful. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 am

Great pattern, excellent tying, fine photo.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:45 pm

This is an awesome post. I'm trying to catch as many as I can, but I'm glad I found this. I try to travel as light as possible as well and your discription of a day on the water is everything I aspire to. Fantastic flymphs and a cool post.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com