Small orange bedragglement

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fleaflicker

Small orange bedragglement

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:26 pm

or something like that... I have no idea why i tied it, though i will attest to it working non stop one warm autumn on the river Wye & tribs (Wales/England) for grayling.... The picture is now some years old and i have for some reason never revisited the pattern to tie nor fish...I recall fishing it with an olive yellow version and also a purple version which i shall have to try and find if i still have them, I fished then if i remeber correctly as a team of three , greased up and just in/below the surface film, up /accross stream to bulging fish... My notes with this fly just record, Autumn Grayling "WYE",the beat location and a note saying small dark spinners & needle flies about,materials: hot orange silk, rib of heron herl, mole thorax with duck slip bud. Well its one of my neater ties to say the least he he
Some one might like it?

flick
tie2fish

Re: Small orange bedragglement

Post by tie2fish » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:44 pm

What's not to like? Those are beautiful and very well dressed; I can easily see why fish would be attracted.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Bedragglement! Not at all! Very nicely tied. I love the heron rib. :D These will catch some brookies.

What's the thorax?

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Gald you like... By bedraggled , it is a saying i suppose we use here in wales and heard up north for anything struggling from within or on the waters surface, perhaps crippled , or wind swept ... I have no name for my fly so it seemed an appropriate title :D

Vicki, Thorax is mole with a slip of mallard/starling primary or perhaps Heron herl oer the top... Anything you have to hand i suppose... I have no clue as to whether that bud would make any difference what so ever, it was just something i did at the time...
For intricate flies/fussy fish , having a neat tie can often be cruical, although like i mentioned in another thread, i often do like a rough approach for those places where the trout are opportunistic and fuzzy bodies can be lashed to a hook stream side...Trout/grayling of lower valley meadowland streams and slower glides can be a whole different story as we al know, those fish that have time to inspect your offering , where less is best and those neat ties will pay dividens....

Do let me know if you fish this pattern and how it does

Flick

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO PLACE FLICK's OTHER FLY IN THIS POST:
After rummaging through a few boxes this is another one of the saved culprits i had fished on the same team as Orange bedragglement.. The olive ones i cannot find though i do have a pic of the winged variety i will put up shortly...

Purple silk
a rib of cock pheasant
starling hackle
and again i have added a slip of primary feather oer the thorax

If i was to revisit the patterens i would use the same type pattern in hook but lighter wire, although these are no where near as heavy as they look.. I believe them to be partridge but could not swear on it, very round, very short, a barb which i dislike for these would need a filing off rather than a pinch....

Background is of sheep wool i find on the mountain whilst out foolin trout :D

Flick
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Somehow i just "knew" you meant 'wing case' when you used the word "bud" as i was reading along......just made perfect sense. That' so clevor and appropriate. Dynomite flies. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Gorgeous flies! They will be a welcome addition to my fly box. Thank you for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am

Im inspired that some of you may add these to your boxes ;) In a pinch against your mainstay patterns they could well be the one that "saves the day" , funny how things go that way, those times when the black hole of the fly box can often bring out the fish catchers :lol: Thank you for you kind words and encouragement

I will add that twisting herl ribs with your tag end of silk or perhaps an additional strand of silk in a contrasting shade that blends with the ribbing will help prolong its life.... Nothing new , i just think it needed addressing as a herl or singular fiber rib is the first thing to go after a couple maulings or even the first.... A spikey thorax will help keep the fly higher also , provided it is of suitable material and does not bog the fly down, depending entirely on how one wishes to fish their fly and its inteded purpose of course...
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:21 pm

flick, go to the Cabin Page and find the IBF Swap 17 thread.....HOT SPOT SOFTIES.....join up.....there's only two spots left. ;) GO!!!!!!!!!
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Sweet flies in my opinion, definitely misnamed though. There are no bedraggled flies on this page. :D
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:04 am

willowhead wrote:flick, go to the Cabin Page and find the IBF Swap 17 thread.....HOT SPOT SOFTIES.....join up.....there's only two spots left. ;) GO!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not I am out of hooks suitable for the job completely :shock: Had to sell most all my stock to cover "life"...

Next time maybe when i have restocked it will be a pleasure, thanks......

ps. still eager to see Hidy tups brushes cards et al.. I wont let it rest : :lol: lol: