Need som help!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Stendalen

Need som help!

Post by Stendalen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 am

During the last two months I've got into a so called Anaphylactic shock on two occasions. First time it actually was very close killing me. Now I have a lot of pills and a syringe with me all the time.

One theory is that it might be my fly tying material causing this reaction. I have during this period bought material from a source that have very old materials. Could that be the reason I'm thinking. So, I have decided to clean my materials. I am sure you could give me some guidance on this.

Suggestion:
1. Clean all wings and skins in hot water and mild soap. How long shall I let it be in the water? Shall it float in the water/soap solution passively or shall I stir and "work" the materials.
2. Let it dry completely
3. Put it in the freezer. For how long?
4. Storage?

Shall I clean ALL materials? Not just the materials I suspect.

Please give me guidance. Thanks.

Martin

P.S. I will soon become more active on the forum again. The private project that has taken all my time lately might actually, finally, be resolved and come to a close on New Years Eve :D
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
flyfishwithme

Re: Need som help!

Post by flyfishwithme » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:07 am

Martin,
I am unsure what "Anaphylactic Action" is.
All materials that I get from an unreliable source i place in the freezer for at least 48 hours. That includes threads and feathers as well as any pelts.
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks. Will start to do that as well for all materials before using them.

It is an severe allergic reaction, swollen tongue and all...

/Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 am

That's scary! Martin, it could be anything, but I would suspect any new materials since you have not had this reaction up till this point. I may not even be something on the materials, but one of the materials that is new to you. Yes, I'd start with the newly purchased stuff and clean them well and put in the freezer. If this continues to happen, which I hope it doesn't, I'd put all the newer stuff in a well sealed container and put it away for a while. If your reactions stop, it is most likely something in those materials. If it does not stop, you may have to clean everything. I suspect the more recently purchased materials.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 am

Make a list of your materials, time consuming but necessary. Get a "GREAT" Allergist and have be tested for everything, and I mean everything! they can also do a sub-scratch test which, if they say fowl... they can tell you which ones. Bad luck for this to pop up. New or old something is the culprit. I'm not doctor, though I've played one in my dreams, but this is no game!!!! DAmn. I wouldn't touch or even go near that tying stuff if you think it triggers such a drastic reaction.. new or old. Get the test then touch the stuff. Don't fool around.

If you want to keep tying, and your reaction was respiratory not topical, I'd get some surgical mask and wear them when tying. (I'm sorry I don't know the correct word for this next sentence and I'm tool lazy right now to check it but) The mask will at least be a first stop barrier form the "pathogens" entering your mouth or nose. Hard to stop the membranes of the eyes from being effective unless you wear goggles. Now that's a photo I'd love to see. Someone with full gas mask, sitting at their desk, with feathers a loft about them!!!
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am

Sorry to hear of your problem, Martin. Can you remember what you were tying before each of these incidents? This may help you narrow the list of materials you have to be concerned about. I would think the natural materials (bird skins, furs) would be more likely to be the problem. Depending where the old materials were stored, they might have mold spores on them. Some people have very strong allergic reactions to mold. I don't think silks or threads could cause the same reaction, but I suppose you could be allergic to anything.

I know that you we also doing some dying of materials lately. I wonder if you could be having a reaction to the dying agent. Make sure you are not cooking with the same pan you used for the dying process.

If your reaction is that strong to the allergens, you need to be careful. I would suggest using latex gloves, if you are going to be handling the materials. Be especially careful about touching your face/eyes/nose/mouth after you have handle materials. Definitely wash your hands thoroughly after tying any flies, so you do not accidentally ingest anything that could cause the reaction.

I am skeptical that the freezing process will do any good. If your reacting to some sort of pollin/dust/mold spores, then the freezing process is unlikely to help. Those things tend to be impervious to freezing. It seems like washing & drying the materials would be your best chance to salvage the materials. Just be careful where you dry the materials, so that you do not contaminate your homes living spaces, making the problem worse.

Good luck, my friend. Really sorry to hear this...

PS - I wish you the best of luck on your project. Hope all goes well.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:13 am

Martin ~ I cannot add any suggestions to those already posted, but I would like you to know how sorry I am about the allergic episodes. Sure hope it doesn't turn out to be the picric acid causing the problem, as the materials you have treated with this agent are truly awesome.
Bill
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:44 am

Very glad to hear you have epinephrine on hand, but hopefully your doctor made it clear that once you did experience anaphylaxsis, you're apt to be even more sensitive in the future. Until you know exactly what is triggering your symptoms, I'd have you lock everything away and devote your time to those other talents/interests you've shared with us. :)
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 am

Mike did write in one of his post that freezing for two weeks is not long enough. He advised to freeze it for a month at least.

sorry to read about your illness wish you all the best.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 am

What about a portable HEPA room filter with either a UV or air ionizer? Works wonders on airborne pollutants and dust. Bought one for my daughter with allergies. It worked so well I bought a larger one that I use throughout my house to reduce airborne dust and have seen noticeable changes with family and less furniture dust accumulation.

Wayneb