New wax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

New wax

Post by narcodog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Today I took receipt of a new wax offered by Jim Slattery. Jim is marketing this wax as an alternative to the Keene wax that he sells for those of that use a bobbin holder :lol: It comes in small pellets and you just roll a pellet in your fingers to warm it, then wax away. Once waxed and applied to the hook the thread stays where you put it. I think he has winner.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: New wax

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm a fan of the Keene wax he sells. I sure hope he brings some of that new wax to the Idaho Tying Expo (Consider that a major hint, Jim.).
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Question -when does a fellow know if he should wax or not to wax,

Thanks

John Dunn
Last edited by John Dunn on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:31 am

I thought I advise you all on Jim's wax, in two words, Great stuff. I have been using it while tying some flymphs and using L & H's dubbing loops, it does what I could not get the Keane wax to do. The one suggestion that I have when using Jim's wax is to be sure you wash your hands as the wax pulls the dirt from your fingers. :lol:
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi Mike. In a recent re-read of Leisenring, he also indicated that he used wax instead of lacquer to secure the finishing whip knot. It works very well using Overton's as well as a "mystery" cake wax I acquired from an old collection of materials.

Best,
Bruce C
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 am

I have used Jim's wax, and I believe it would hold in place of lacquering the head.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm

I got to spend a couple days with Jim at the East Idaho Fly Fishing and Tying Expo. He did, indeed, bring some of his new wax to the show (You take a hint well, Jim). I had a chance to try it out Friday night in the hotel room. Great stuff!!! I have a favorite new wax, along with a bunch of other favorite new stuff from Jim.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Ron,
Glad that you like the wax! It was great seeing you and Vickie at the show. It's always great to meet people that you have met online and spoken on the phone with. You are very fortunate to have a wife who enjoys tying as much as you do. Wish we could have spent some time on the river.....but I hope that you two will visit me at Campfire this summer. It was a really good show, probably the best show that I have attended.
Jim