Scissors or knife?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

Re: Scissors or knife?

Post by JohnP » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 am

I try to put my scissors down in the same place each time while tying, making them easy to find. I tie for fun and relaxation, not production, so speed is not really an issue for me. :)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I have been cutting the thread with my scissors, using one blade like a knife. I just got in a new shipment of #11 disposable scalpels, so will probably use some of the extras on the tying bench.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Norm Frechette

Post by Norm Frechette » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 am

utility knife for me

crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Scissors in a small vee, kinda like the cutter on the bottom of the whip finisher. It will only cut something under tension, so it never cuts hackle barbs. As a matter of fact, I think I saw a video with the whip finisher that gave me the idea.
After seeing the knife Pete Hidy used, I went and bought an exacto knife. I've used it a few times, but I think I like my scissors better.
I tried keeping them in my hand while tying, but it felt awkward.

Kirk
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Kirk, I like reading your preferred method. I was using scissors. After this thread, I decided to try just one blade of my scissors, more often. I like it that way. I plan to try my Exacto knife too, WHEN I FIND IT. It is in the cluttered pile on my tying table. I haven't been looking hard. I am ashamed to say, my desk is in an almost intolerable condition...rotfl.