John Dunn

Dying furs

Post by John Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 am

As posted on another topic. .
Quote--
The furs so got, are of the best, and tie the finest flies,
and may be improved even more, by judicious use of dyes,
Picric acid, turmeric, carbol , and urine from an ass,
obtain them all, and store them well, they will all come to pass.
Mike

Picric Acid is yellow (I'm afraid to use) but How do you use Turmeric ?
What is Carbol Google search---Zip--
I think I'll skip the Donkey Urine

John Dunn
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
John Dunn

Re: Dying furs

Post by John Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Mike
When you dyed the starling wings brown , what dye did you use for that?

Best

John Dunn
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Mike,

I followed your link and learned that even polypropylene could be dyed with turmeric. I remains to be seen how quickly the colour fades, but everything I have dyed with this spice has been a success. It would be interesting to try picric acid but I think I will buy the fur dyed. Have found seal fur and hares mask. Have got to try it out.

dd
trouttickler

Post by trouttickler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 pm

I love the yellow that picric acid produces. Used it quite a bit back in the 70's when I was working for a small fly shop. Not so color conscious these days and don't do any of my own dying anymore.
Mike, you seem to have an extensive knowledge of dying, have you ever heard of any flytyer ever blowing themselves up with picric acid? I haven't but I have never research it .
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:02 pm

I "won" some tying materials on Ebay from a fellow that goes by Irish-nymphs that dies with picric acid. I have received the seal, cree and Hares body fur. I really liked the colors. Since winning the first items I went back and won the bid on a Partridge and some Peacock eyes which I am looking forward to receiving. He also sent me a sample of dyed Spanflex that I tied a few emergers.

This fellow is great to deal with if you are interested.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
trouttickler

Post by trouttickler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks Mike, thats what I thought. As I said,I used it quite a bit, and never had any problems. Just have to take the proper precautions, like many thing in life. I have a question. Have you ever found anything else that produces that kind of yellow?
trouttickler

Post by trouttickler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks Mike. I tend to agree with you. Although I have no empiracle evidence, I do believe the properties of the dye are attractive to fish. Of course that creates confidence in the flies, and as we all know that affects your fishing with them. Until fish learn to talk, it will be pretty tough to find out what part of the equation is actually working!
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Gentleman Is their a supplier that sells feathers and furs that dye with Picric Acid .

Best

John Dunn