Sewing Thread (Silk)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

SonOfMartin

Sewing Thread (Silk)

Post by SonOfMartin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 am

Ok, I'm a bit confused about this subject. I have some Pearsalls silk but it's all mail order for me to get other colors. Specifically has anyone tried silk sewing thread? What manufacturer, colors, etc worked for you? I'd like to develop a source from my local sewing / craft store and not have to wait a week to get thread via mail. Thanks.
DNicolson

Re: Sewing Thread (Silk)

Post by DNicolson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 am

Strictly speaking Pearsall is sewing thread.
There is a brand of Japanese silk called YLI100, which has a bigger range than
Pearsall. I believe it sold in the USA.
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi SonOfMartin;

I've been looking into this for a while after seeing the soft hackle tied in the following link: http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/8186

I purchased and recently recieved 6 spools of YLI 100 silk from an ebay supplier and its works pretty well. YLI is a little thinner than Pearsalls, not a slick, and also not quite as strong. It does come in a larger spool containing 200 meters of thread versus 30 meters for Pearsalls and fits a standard tying bobbin. It was also a little cheaper than Pearsalls per unit length, $4.00 per spool.

If you do a search on this site, you will find a lot of discussion(mostly started by me)about using YLI.

Jo Ann's Fabrics sell Gutermann silk, not a great selection of colors, the spools are long and narrow so if you want to use a bobbin a special one would be rquired. I don't know how much it costs since I didn't inquire of the price.

If all your looking for is different color threads then try sewing threads and see how they work. If your looking for the qualities of silk thread, ie. translucency and color change when wet then silk threads are the way to go.

hope this helpes;

Wayneb
SonOfMartin

Post by SonOfMartin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks for the information - I have lots to look into.