Whip finishing question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: Whip finishing question

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

William Anderson wrote:This has been a great thread. I would be hard pressed to take issue with any of the sound comments offered so far. However, I have a question taking the minutea a bit further. I tie my hackles in by the stem, feather tip extending over the eye and once I've made my hackle wraps and bring the tying thread up through the hackle, I am often left with the fore of the hackle leaning forward, or at least not making the sweeping backward set that I usually like to achieve. Especially if I've added a hint of dubbing to the thread before bringing it forward. So...with the tying thread hanging in front of the hackle, just behind the eye, I lick my thumb and middle finger, wipe it nearly dry on my leg and stroke all the hackles/stray thorax and all back, careful to avoid the hook point on the way back. I then take a turn or two back toward the hackle - tight turns, then take one or maybe two if needed, turns with less tension against the hackle giving it the set and enough structure to keep them in that position. So now I have four wraps behind the eye and I've not even started the whip finish. Now I can begin the whip finish forward toward the eye, typically 4-5 turns. With fine 14/0, flat tying thread, even this leaves a very acceptable head, to my eye. It's not so easy with pearsall's silk and takes more attention and usually some counting.

anyone have other techniques or suggestions for using the thread to help make the hackle set back without all the extra wraps? Like I said, I'm not unhappy with my results, but there is some room for photogenic improvement and would like to hear how this is addressed. thanks.

w
William,

You make one or two hard turns to fix the slant of the barbs? You may consider the following - once the slant is set, do you really need those turns to remain in place? Try unwrapping one, or both, and then get them back in place as part of the whip finish.

Cheers,
Hans W
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

I usually do five to size turns of thread for a whip finish. Only a tiny fly I usually do three or four turns.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Hans - I use a similar technique. After wrapping the hackle, I wind the tying thread forward thru the hackle and then clip off the stem. I then draw the hackle fibers back and make six firm wraps over the base of the fibers. I can then unwrap four or five of the thread wraps, and whip finish the head. The initial wraps help "train" the hackle fibers so they will remain in place during the whip finish. A similar wrap/unwrap/secure wrap technique is used for the forming Thunder Creek minnow heads. I use a similar technique when forming silk & tinsel underbodies (count the wraps and then unwind all but one before going on the the next step). Very effective way to prevent thread build up, yet still hold materials solidly in place between steps.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am

Hans Weilenmann wrote:
William,

You make one or two hard turns to fix the slant of the barbs? You may consider the following - once the slant is set, do you really need those turns to remain in place? Try unwrapping one, or both, and then get them back in place as part of the whip finish.

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans, the last several flies I've tied since hearing your suggestion have worked out very well, unwrapping a couple wraps after locking down the hackle set. I was doing it out of habit and the times I had forgotten that I was focusing on that technique in particular, I had finished the head before realizing. Without the jewelers loop, I can't see the difference. I did tie up a couple size 20's and it was evident. I tried it both ways, and certainly if the intent is to make a tiny head on smaller flies, unwrapping the last couple turns will work out very well. Thanks for the tip.

Ray, using the same technique for tying off the body material or ribbing makes a lot of sense as well. I use an much tension as I can get to bind down the end of a wire wrap and that typically involves 3-4 wraps that aren't necessary. Again, if needed (assuming I'm not going to dub the thorax) unwrapping a couple of those turns would be prudent. Thanks so much.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com