Whip finishing question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Izaak

Whip finishing question

Post by Izaak » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

I have been experimenting with whip finishing a bit lately to figure out if there is any resulting difference in the direction, or lack of direction, one forms the knot, i.e. working towards the hook eye, or, away from the hook eye, or not even paying attention to any direction. My results are inconclusive at this point as some of my whip finishes turn out better than others and am wondering if others have similar experiences with this and if they have any wisdom to share on making better whip finishes. ;)

All the best,
Tom
chase creek

Re: Whip finishing question

Post by chase creek » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 am

Based on learning how to whip finish the end of a rope to keep it from unraveling (in Boy Scouts), I wrap from the back to the front. Don't think I've ever had any come undone, but I usually add adrop of SH or super-glue to the head anyway.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 am

A consecutive whip finish toward the eye snugly seats the last turn directly under the knot instead of across the face of the other wraps and then under the knot.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

Tom - I will remember this post when I get home. There is a diagram in a book I own ("The Fly-Fisher's Craft: The Art and History", by Darrel Martin - fantastic book by the way - I highly recommend this book). I remember seeing a diagram in the book which clearly favors whip finishing towards the eye of the hook. The reason given is for cosmetics (thread placement on the finished head) rather than the strength of the whip finish. Let me dig up the reference and post the diagram in the book.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. They make a lot of sense. I never really paid much attention to whip finishing until I started taking photos of my flies and saw that some looked better than others! :D

Tom
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Hmmmmm. I have been doing it wrong. My last turn of thread is near the eye, and I whip finish back towards the material, back over the thread base. More than three whips and it's tough to snug up the thread without breaking.

Now I am scratching my head.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Here is the image I promised to post earlier:

Source: Darrel Martin's book entitled "The Fly-Fisher's Craft: The Art and History"/Page 131/ISBN 1-59228-722-0 / All rights retained by author (used for illustrative purposes only)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I am glad this question was raised. I have been doing it backwards. It won't be the first, and certainly not the last time, I feel sure. Thanks for clearing this up.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 pm

I plan on continueing doing it WRONG. (humor)
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:32 pm

I tried finishing towards the eye. But then I have a tag showing at the eye, which is more noticeable to me. Maybe it just needs more practice. Not sure. Dubbn, I may be with you on this one! :D