Fly Namers, their variations - naming

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: Fly Namers, their variations - naming

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:51 am

tie2fish wrote:Drive through, by all means. I simply mentioned a couple of things I have seen in print, and have no evidence to back them up in a debate forum. I am not a very well informed scholar of the history of fly tying and only a mediocre tyer at best, so I should probably not venture my opinions in public.
*chuckle* fear not - am not going to put you on the spot. My scepticism on the Catskill style of flies is already well documented 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:33 am

Don't worry tie2fish, there are holes in Hans argument as well , starting with Halford.
catch me if you can............ :lol:
Jim
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am

Jim Slattery wrote:Don't worry tie2fish, there are holes in Hans argument as well , starting with Halford.
catch me if you can............ :lol:
Jim
JimBo...

Let me see... (you can cross off as not applicable and educate us all in the process):

1. Catskill style dry flies are those originated by people whose family tree is firmly rooted in the Catskills region of NY state for at least 8 generations, along the paternal line (or not)
2. Catskill style dries are any patterns first tied while the person at the vise happened to be spending the day in the Catskills region of NY state (or not)
3. Catskills dries are those hackled heavier than those flies not considered Catskills style dries (or not)
4. Catskill style dries are so identified by having a rolled split upright lemon woodduck wing (or not) - provided either 1 and or 2 are also applicable (or not)
5. Catskill style dries are so identified by having a short section of bare shank just at the eye (or not)
6. Catskill style dries are so identified by the fact that they bounce along the surface of streams in the Catskills region of NY state perched on hackle tips and tips of the tail, keeping the hook very much elevated above the water surface (or not)
7. Catskill style dries are codified in such a way that there is an established and generally accepted/formalized baseline that simply examining an actual dry fly in hand one can cleanly and unequivocally differentiate between those that meet the aforementioned criteria, and those which do not.

Have at it good sir...

Cheers,
Hans W
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 am

Hans,
I will skip the tedious questions and simply go with Pictures
Halford fly (Halfordian era):

Catskill fly (Herm Christian):
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 am

Jim,

You are dodging the specific question and avoiding the direct answers. Forget Halford, and focus on contemporary dry flies.

Thanks,
Hans W
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 am

Popping some popcorn, pouring a good stiff drink and pulling up a chair for the show... 8-)
I Love a good natured intellectual joust :lol:
Murray
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am

Hans,
Sir it is quite clear you have now muddied the water. Seeing as the fate of the world, as we now know it( compared to 10 minutes ago), firmly weighs in the balance, I will make quite clear your question, which is taken verbatum as such "Is this where I will ask what makes "Catskill dry" any different from UK dries from Halford's time?"
Decisively and unequivocally I have answered your question with mere pictures :) :twisted: :lol: .
Jim
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Dear sir Jim - I will make it really simple for you. Only answer allowed is yes or no:

Does a contemporary tied Adams (mixed grizzly/brown barbs tail, muskrat body, grizzly hackle tips wing, and a mixed grizzly/brown hackle qualify as a "Catskill style dry"?

I await your mono-syllabic response with interest.

Cheers,
Hans W
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm

reaches for another handful of popcorn and another liquid refreshment while staring intently at the screen....
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Me, I am just wondering if in Han's list above- no.1, is it also required that the tier that is an 8th generation Catskillsian still required to marry a first cousin or even closer sibling? :lol:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.