Dyeing skins

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Stephen

Re: Dyeing skins

Post by Stephen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the post. Have you ever used any of the skins from this particular supplier? I also noticed they sell an assortment bundle. I was wondering if it was possible to buy individual skins or if you had to buy the bundle? I noticed there was a $75.00 minimum that could be split between several tyer's if necessary but also wondering if just going natural and then dying as you suggested is the better avenue?

Sorry about the meandering, just thinking outloud I guess.
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:38 am

Mike,

Just a follow up. I decided to place an order with the supplier mentioned. I split the order with Ree and I'm sure based on the quantity, I will never need Hare again, at least in this life time. I have used Ritz quite successfully in the past to dye deer skins and am comfortable with the techniques used to obtain the colors I wanted. Do you feel the procedures would be pretty much the same for the Hare presuming all turned out well with the deer?
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Thank you Mike. You are right, I meant Rit Dye. I am currently out of dye and do need more so I will look into the Jacquard Dye.

When I worked with the deer hair, I monitered the water so it was just below the boiling point and constantly stirred. I will have to check my notes but it seems I left it in the dye bath for about 45 minutes just under the boiling point. After that time I would rinse several times starting with hot tap water and then rinse progressively changing to cold water.

I never really played with mixing any colors just used what was on the shelf. Looking forward to this.
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 am

Mike,

I noticed that there are different dyes for different materials such as Rayon will use a different dye than cotton or wool according to information from Jacquard. Does it matter which dye from Jacquard to use for fur? Also I know Rit provides a formula chart for mixing their dyes to obtain certain colors. Is that what the color wheel provides for Jacquard Dyes?

And thanks for providing all of this information regarding dyes and Hare.
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks Mike.

On some sites that sold the Jacquard Dye, they didn't specify which of their dyes were acid dyes, rather identified what material they would dye. For me, that was confusing. :oops: However, the last supplier mentioned cleared that up nicely as well as the information you provided.
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:36 am

Mike: I was reading the link to Jacquards. They sure make dyeing sounds simple. Is it that simple?
Bruce