Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

Re: Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Post by JohnP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I have lots of hackle pliers, but my favorites are the ones I got with a beginner's kit many, many years ago. They are flat metal and have a rubber pad on one jaw. None of the others I have seem to work as well.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

JohnP wrote:I have lots of hackle pliers, but my favorites are the ones I got with a beginner's kit many, many years ago. They are flat metal and have a rubber pad on one jaw. None of the others I have seem to work as well.

Hi stranger. Bout time I saw you posting again. Except for a camping trip, I haven't been fishing. I am getting the itch again, so i may have to go in the morning if the stars line up.

How about you?
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 pm

I use the same type as Dubbn does, a small one & a slightly larger one. They can be dorky when tying small Starling or other small fine feathers but that's what I'm used to.Don't feel like swapping horse's mid stream I guess. :roll:
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:10 pm

DUBBN wrote:
JohnP wrote:I have lots of hackle pliers, but my favorites are the ones I got with a beginner's kit many, many years ago. They are flat metal and have a rubber pad on one jaw. None of the others I have seem to work as well.

Hi stranger. Bout time I saw you posting again. Except for a camping trip, I haven't been fishing. I am getting the itch again, so i may have to go in the morning if the stars line up.

How about you?
Hi Wayne,
I have only been fishing once since June, and that was only for an hour or two close to home. It has been a busy summer, but I hope to have some time to fish in the fall. I have been on a stillwater fly tying kick lately, cranking out chironomids and scuds.
ashley

Post by ashley » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 am

Compared to those with the large collections of hackle pliers I've been somewhat restricted in the number that I have. Most of the time I use the traditional spring ones, the smaller of the two gets most use because it is perfect for the job. Only complaint is the hackle breakage. The larger ones I use when I need them (they're the original ones I started with.

My second favorite hackle pliers are my fingers when the hackle is large enough to get away with, I use these for tying my Irish wets.

I also have some of the spring loaded ones with the clips on the end. These are actually made for electrics as wire clips (think I got that right).
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 am

Ok, so in my post on this subject I told a big fat LIE. :oops: I do have another Hackle Plier. I never used for tying it as the dog chewed it up before I had a chance. Yes, I am using the "dog ate my homework" excuse.

It was relegated to fly pictures.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 am

Wayne - What pattern is that? Initially I was guessing it was a small version of your muskrat pattern, but then was not so sure. Figured I'd ask. Gorgous fly & photo, by the way.

JohnP - If you are a fan of still water flies, you should check out a tyer named Denny Rickards. I am a big fan of his stillwater patterns. He tyes impressionistic patterns which have a lot of inherent movement. I own his book entitled "Tying Stillwater Patterns For Trophy Trout" and can recommend it highly. (http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/aboutdenny.asp)

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled programing about hackle pliers and their many uses... ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Ray, I was just experimenting with different backgrounds awhile back. The fly is pretty basic.

Hook - Mustad 3906, size 20
Thread/Body - Griffith 14/0 Gray
Hackle - Hen Grizzly
I tyed a few up in different colors just in case Hank and I had to fish the San Juan River in Northern New Mexico.

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm

hankaye wrote:http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062221

These I do like alot. Used them to wrap the hackles for thos flys that Ray
posted for me with the yarn...here;

http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=40

As Mr. F. Gump would say;
"That's all I'v got to say about that."

hank

Thanks for the link hank! While I was at Cabelas buying some hooks today, I walked a few stores down to Radio Shack and picked some up.

I will probably stick with my old hackle pliers for now, but I sure like the new ones for pictures! :)

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 pm

DUBBIN, Howdy;

:D

By the way ... How's the temp. and stream conditions looking???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin