Silver Bodied Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Silver Bodied Flies

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Ray's Pop Flies come to mind with the tinsel under silk bodies. For myself, I tied up a bunch of silver wire softies years ago and did okay but very quickly turned to Amber or dark Amber wire bodies for spiders that needed bling and a quickee sink rate. I also tied darker mono over chromed hooks and fished those. They even saved the day once on the Gunpowder, but I haven't tied them on in some time. I will say I've typically shied away from bling in general but in the past couple years I'm catching more and more on flies with a slender gold tinsel rib. Looks old school, but I can tell you that does not enter my mind when I'm choosing a fly streamside. Sometimes they are amazing.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 pm

I carry two flashy patterns and find them best fished in clear to very clear water on sunny days. Both have had their moment enough to have a couple of each in my box.
Silver Partridge.png
Silver Partridge.png (216.31 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
Copper King.png
Copper King.png (205.32 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks Carl, I have to tie that Copper King!!! 8-)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:04 pm

It's a good one, a bit like the copper John in a spider pattern.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks Carl!

I tied this with the brown Partridge and FL Fire Orange thread...

Can't wait to try them on the Crooked. ;)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Oh, that's fantastic. I do often have Carl's pattern in mind. Such a nice combination. You really nailed it, Bill.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Let me know if it works for you on the Crooked. What size?
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 am

This batch was tied on Mustad 3906s #12, I might tie some more with Sulky silver metallic in a 16 or 18.
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Wow! I know this is odd, I'm agreeing with Old Hat! I tie several Silver body wet flies with their primary use, being bright clear days on clear, extremely "busy" waters! The busier the better! Typically tying these on 12's, 10's and even 8's. Fishing two at a time (reducing risks of multiple hook-ups, in such fast waters! Can be bad on rods!). These are flung 45 degrees down stream on long casts, then swung in towards the bank..... allowed to dangle and rise near surface! Strip ever so slowly upstream, playing on the dangle around each rock or anything else!
If not all silver, or Holo-pearl, (shows hot flash of an emerald green when over black thread under-body!!). Amazing how they will pull trout from across current and all, as they see these two "flashers" chasing each other upstream!!
A bit odd, too, because on cloudy days, the same fly in a red or blue body will pick up a few, fished the same way!
FliTrap

P.S. Killer flies, there... Old Hat!!