Important Flymph Discovery

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Important Flymph Discovery

Post by Jim Slattery » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Folks,
Just got back from the Idaho Falls Fly tying convention. Man talk about talented tyers!
Anyway I finished the show with a gentleman walking by and seeing a copy of The Art of the Wet Fly at my booth while I was demonstrating the Liesenring Loop. He was startled, and came walking back to the booth. He then proceeded to sit down and watch me tie. After some small talk he told me he was a friend of Pete Hidy and that he had some Hidy? Flymph "stuff" with him that was returned to him that was loaned to a friend ( Buck Goodrich). I told him I would really love to see the "stuff" before the show shutdown in about 45 minutes. I said no problem and went out to his car. When he came back he proceeded to open up this box. Out first came copies of the Creel, Stella Eyr and another magazine. He said I have more. Out came a previously unkown ( at least for me) copy of "The International Society of Flymph Fisherman Resource Guide Book. In it were Flies tied by Hidy various hackles and body color charts. Also pre spun bodies on cards of various colored threads and dubbings. As I sat there with this volume in my hands I was just dumb struck. The Gentleman said that he had more "stuff" at home and promised to come to Campfire this season for a Photo shoot of the Flies, book contents and other "stuff".
This is an amzing discovery. I am still pinching myself. ...
Over and Out
Jim
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Important Flymph Discovery

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:54 pm

WOW! That is exciting news, Jim. I may be mistaken about this, but I think the book that you referred to is pictured in the Sports Illustrated article that Hidy wrote back in 1963 (?). There article had a photo on the side that showed a type of journal with different fly tying materials taped in it with hand written notes. I remember seeing different silks (vermilion colored silk sticks in my mind for some reason). It would be so cool if that is what you got to see. I hope your able to get lots of pictures of the stuff this summer. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have seen the items first hand. What a treat!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Yahoo for you. I hope he comes in Sept.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm

JIM,
I READ YOU LATEST POST ON DISCOVERING SOME OF PETE HIDYS GOODIES. I TOO CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THESE THINGS! I HOPE YOU ARE GEARING UP PHOTOGRAPHICALLY FOR THIS.
WE ARE ALL ANXIOUS TO SEE AND READ EVERY MORSEL OF THIS GREAT DISCOVERY THAT YOU HAVE MADE.
WAITING IN THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Sounds really interesting to say the least. I'm glad he caught sight of the book and took the time to watch and speak with you and share his knowledge.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S