Thoughts on Sprite hooks?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Thoughts on Sprite hooks?

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:Jeff,

Interesting. The Sprite Perfect International hook is actually the Sprite model I like least of all. I think it is because of the rather short length between where the bend ends and the hook point. To me it looks disproportionate.

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans, it was all I could find at the wee store in Banbridge at the time. :lol:
It looks to me similar to the Gamakatsu, kind of a "glo-bug" or egg pattern hook or a wide gape short shank as you say, but it is not advertised that way. If you have a selection of their other offerings and could photograph them beside say a B175 it would make a nice reference. :)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
redietz

Re: Thoughts on Sprite hooks?

Post by redietz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

The Perfect is a version of the "Model Perfect" and goes back long before egg "flies".

Courtney Williams said of them back in 1949:
"A brief reference is necessary to a hook popular with fly-dressers, the "Model Perfect" because it does not conform to the standard scale and enjoys a special scale of its own. The reason for this apparent anomaly is simply that the gapes of all "Model Perfect" (whether they have extra short, short of long shanks) are much wider in relation to the length of the shanks than is the case where standard patterns are concerned."
I use the Perfects and love them
Bob