Honey Dun Hackle Colour

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JOHN

Honey Dun Hackle Colour

Post by JOHN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Hello,
Does anyone have photographic reference of a Honey Dun Hackle? I know that computer screens will not give it its true colour but I'm thinking that it is close to Light Ginger? Yes? No?
If anyone has some side by side comparison or description it would be greatly appreciated.
I know that Whiting has American Hen Capes in both colours, but not very good reference.
Thanks
John
mvendon

Re: Honey Dun Hackle Colour

Post by mvendon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Deleted
Last edited by mvendon on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:48 pm

JOHN

Post by JOHN » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks guys!
The reference is VERY helpful. Great photo Mark!
Now, does anyone know where to get a Honey Dun Hen Cape? Apparently, according to Feather Craft Whiting does not carry Hen Capes by themselves, only in a set of saddle and cape, and no Honey Dun anymore.
I think that the Hen Cape would be the best one to have?
Any suggestions?
Thanks again,
John
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Charlie Collins has them. You also might still be able to find just the Whitting necks if you contact the different shops. I know there are some still out there.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Jim Slattery carries hunny dun hen capes for $20 (http://www.jimsflyco.com/html/whiting_farms.html)

If he doesn't have what you need, you could also look at the Collins hen necks listed on Great Feather for $22 for combination neck plus cape (http://greatfeathers.com/collinshacklefarm.aspx)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Honey Dun is my favorite color. It actually is a complex series of colors that is not best described as just Honey Dun. Honey dun, in the traditional sense, is a medium dun center stripe or List and honey (proccessed) golden ginger. As shown in the above photos. But it is more than that. There is also Pale Honey Dun, which has a pale watery dun or light grey dun list with honey tips as well as a Dark Honey Dun. The list is what classifies the light , medium or dark conotation. But Honey Dun doesn't stop there, the tip color can also range from a Light Ginger to a Red Ginger, practically brown. Liesenring preferred a Dark Honey Dun with Red tips for his Iron Blue Wingless. I know that color Honey Dun is quite effective as I had a few steelhead straighten out some hooks on the Trinity River. Granted they were size 14 lightish wire wet fly hooks . Also with the same pattern in the Tinity River watershed I had a big fish break off at dusk. Pretty much set the hook lightly and lean into it a touch, arm and rod go straight and snap!
Currently I have about 8 Hebert Honey Dun Hen Capes wich I would classify as Pale Honey Dun with various tip colors and about 25 - 30 Hebert Rusty Dun Hen Capes that classify as Medium to Dark Honey Dun with various tip colors in stock. Also 4 Pale Honey Dun Hebert Pro Grade Rooster Capes with red tips in stock.
flymph

Post by flymph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 pm

fu
Last edited by flymph on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:15 am

I have purchased several Hebert honey duns from JS and I also have a Collins and a Whitting and they are all very similar. If I'm not mistaken the Hebert necks are a line descended from Darbee's. Honey duns are like Cree's in as they are also an anomaly. I also have Cree necks from the above mentioned and again there are similarities.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Flymph,
While I can empathize with your opinion I think you are a bit off base. Honey Dun has appeared long before Darbee started raising birds. You can go to many other sources to find Honey Dun hens, like a barnyard. Darbee's birds were gathered from barnyards as well as poultry farms, such as the Ellensberg(ville) N. Y. poultry farm from where Walt Dette and in turn subsequently Harry Darbee got some of the stock for the genetic line of birds. The Whiting Hebert/Miner line of birds are direct descendants of the Darbee stock. They are just a little mare advanced than the Collins line of birds. The lineage started in 1954 when Harry gave Andy Miner some eggs and then progressed in 1974 when Ted Hebert, a lawyer, obtained the best of Miner's stock. I have to agree with you that the Darbee line is a good source for Honey Dun, but Collins is not the ONLY game in town. While it is true the WHITING/Hoffman line doesn't have the beautiful natural colors that the Darbee line have, Medium Honey Dun does actually occur in this genetic line, as I have several beautiful rooster capes of this color in my private stock. The feather quality is unmatched by any other grower.That being said capes labled as Honey Dun from all Whiting line of products tend to be Pale Honey Dun, once in a while you get a Medium Honey Dun. The Whiting/ Hebert Rusty Dun is where you find the Medium to Dark and sometimes Light Honey Dun, at least from the traditional description of the color. True Rusty Dun is a Dun base color with a Rusty sheen that is only truly apparent when you turn it at angles to the light. Now this is a extremely rare color. So I again empathize with your opinion of Whiting's color category definitions, some of which are a bit out of skew with traditional definitions. This can also be found with all growers across the board. So while the color definition may be a bit off the colors are still there , you just have to now where to look.
Isn't it great that we have this many choices?