About those Spade hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tbc1415

About those Spade hackles

Post by tbc1415 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Hello
Although this has long been one of my favorite resources on the web. I have not posted here before. I followed the forum here from its previous host.
I live and fish in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Born and raised in eastern Pennsylvania where 'Big' Jim Leisenring was a household name (at least in those homes with one or more trout fishermen). Consequently, I was familiar with flymphs long before traditional soft hackles. Most recent exciting discovery is the book Irish Mayflys, A Fly Fishers Guide, by Patsy Deery. Eventually I hope to post photos of my own ideas.

Okay, on with the subject matter.
The subject title pretty well frames my questions. Spade Hackle. I have never been quite certain what exactly Spade hackles are.

Where and how did the name originate.
Where on the bird do they come from.
Are they breed specific.

What are their defining characteristics
What patterns require them
Suggested substitutes?

I hope this is not viewed as too much to ask for a first time post.
Thanks
TC
tbc1415

Re: About those Spade hackles

Post by tbc1415 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Thank you Mike
I did ask "what exactly Spade hackles are" and you provided a wealth of both explanation and resources for further exploration. I appreciate that. Although I am familiar with tailing feathers, I did not know that spade hackles and tailing feathers are one and the same.

I have seen Hans' article on harvesting Coq de leon from live rosters. I probably have it bookmarked. Now, to find the darned bookmark is not as simple as it should be. My own fault of course.

TC