Wax on, Wax Off

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Wax on, Wax Off

Post by chase creek » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Didn't want to hijack Wayne's thread on wax (some really good information).
My question is : what wax does everyone use for making dubbing brushes on the block? I have tried several, and currently use a dark wax made by a mad scientist on another forum. Comes in a tube, and I think is just right as far as tackiness, and seems to set well after a few hours. I cut off a small piece to keep warm in my hand while making brushes. The only problem (slight) I have is after a few brushes are made, there is a wax residue left on the block. I suspect this is typical of mast any wax.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Mataura mayfly

Re: Wax on, Wax Off

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm

To be honest- and a bit of a heretic, I mainly use a common paste wax used for leather boot dressing. Easy to use and apply (does not catch, break or damage thread being drawn through) holds to the thread well, holds material to the thread well and sets up wonderfully if left on the storage cards overnight.
Disadvantages, it tends to get everywhere. Ends up on your fingertips, then you place the dubbing just right..... move your finger away and the dubbing comes with you :evil: . You do get the residue on the block also, but I find this can be cleaned easily with a wipe from a rag that has had a little CRC (WD40) applied to it. Depends on what your block is finished with as to if you will get away with WD40 wipes, a varnished block should be fine.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 am

Rodger ~ In an attempt to duplicate a previous batch that turned out really well for me based on a 7-2-2 formula, I ended up with some some wax that is significantly more tacky that I would have liked. It does, however, work really well for making brushes on a block except for the condition you mention of leaving a residue. I've found that I can take care of that problem by periodically scraping the surface of the block with a sharp edge to remove the excess wax; I use a razor blade, but I suspect any sharp metal or hard plastic edge would work as well.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Bill & Jeff,
The wax residue on the block really is a minor problem. The surface is some kind of white plastic (it's one of Wlliam's blocks) and it comes of quite easily with a warm damp cloth. I was mainly curious about what wax everyone uses for dubbing brushes. I can see that the subject of wax can be an extensive one. :)
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Chase Creek:

I use my own wax formula for all my tying. That said, any wax will eventually leave residue on a Clark's block. I've started using a piece of card stock on the block surface, it's white so gives better contrast and when it starts getting sticky from wax I just replace it.

Wayneb
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 pm

I don't use wax most of the time. If I wont a brush with a silk thread and if I think I have to use wax then it is the wax of tie2fish. It is enough to wax only the upper thread so I don't have the problem of the residu.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Don't some people use just plain beeswax? How much residue does that leave?
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Kelly, they do. Some folks use a toilet bowl gasket ring also.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 pm

On the Clark block I've used pure beeswax, and varying degrees of slightly tacky, hard waxes too.
Personally, I see no advantage in sticky wax for this operation. No need to make the dubbing adhere, since when the thread is spun, the fibers are held securely in the little silk rope.
The function of the wax seems to be to give the silk thread a little more body, and perhaps just a little adhesion for holding the tightly-twisted assembly together. I don't need it to hold the dubbing in place. For me, it is easier to finesse the taper of the dubbing if the wax is not too sticky.
My father never had any wax residue on his Clark blocks, nor do I.

Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Rodger, I have had little wax build up on the block. Maybe a bit in the grooves, which doesn't hurt. The white strip on your block is made from professional pin striping used for car restorations. If you were putting skunk stripes on a 69 Cameron SS, that's the material. I've had a little wax build up after a round of bodies, but not often. You should be able to wipe yours off with just about anything. You're not going to hurt it. I would suggest not using adhesive removers. That stripe is really on there, but goo-be-gone may interfere with the adhesive.

Lance, there are times when I find the tack helpful in distributing some fibers and having them stay put until I can lay the second length of silk over the first. I like beeswax as well.

Sorry to just jump in on this. I should be around more in the next day or two.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com