Ducks Redux

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Ducks Redux

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am

Beautiful flies. If that Tup's is a reject then I'm in serious trouble with what I sent. Great looking pattern. I dressed my offerings on a Partridge Classic Spider hook, size 12.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Really nice, Bob! As a result of your posting, I'll be checking out the mallard wings I've got lying about that were purchased for their flight feathers.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Really great flies, Bob. Mallard coverts don't get used as often as they should. Very lively when wet.

Thanks for sharing these.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Bob,
Great post. Thanks for opening our eyes to these mallard coverts.
Man, I could barely do the twenty Tups flies, let alone 37. I about cried when I forgot to wrap the rib on one. That silver wire was still hanging out over the tail whisks as I started the whip finish. That one I did reject. In the 20 I sent out today there is some variation in the thorax roughness, and hackle length, and the tidiness of the heads. But I figured if Mother Nature isn't perfect every time, why try to outdo the great lady? :D (I actually would try for more consistency, but I just don't have the chops yet. :oops: )

Lance
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Ruard wrote:
What is a mallard convert, where on a mallard can I find that feather??
The coverts are the feathers on the leading edge of the wing. The link at this page has an illustration of a wing with the feathers labeled. You're looking for the "lesser wing coverts" (the median wing coverts are useful, too).
Bob
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm

tie2fish wrote:Really nice, Bob! As a result of your posting, I'll be checking out the mallard wings I've got lying about that were purchased for their flight feathers.
You've actually put your finger on one of the reasons that I like mallard coverts. I get them essentially free when I buy wings for quills.
Bob
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I liked the flies in the photos very much. If those got rejected, I cannot imagine what the ones you kept for the swap look like.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 am

redietz wrote:
Ruard wrote:
The coverts are the feathers on the leading edge of the wing. The link at this page has an illustration of a wing with the feathers labeled. You're looking for the "lesser wing coverts" (the median wing coverts are useful, too).
Funny, I always thought the mallard converts were found on pintails and widgeons. :D ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Flies are great Bob. Both of them. The feathers are something I have played with but always had a problem with them twisting around on me. Not a big deal for fishing purposes. You did a nice job with these.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am

redietz wrote:
tie2fish wrote:Really nice, Bob! As a result of your posting, I'll be checking out the mallard wings I've got lying about that were purchased for their flight feathers.
You've actually put your finger on one of the reasons that I like mallard coverts. I get them essentially free when I buy wings for quills.
I get them free when I level my 12ga at flying Mallards...... true the odd one gets damaged........ but not a bad way to gather a dinner as well as some tying materials. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 am

redietz wrote:
Ruard wrote:
Thank you redietz, I think I was a bit confused by the word convert<>coverts.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl