One For Mark.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

CreationBear

Re: One For Mark.

Post by CreationBear » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Great post and great fly--I think the L'il Dorothy is my favorite of all of Mark's ties I've seen over the years. :) If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the orange wets out to a nice "shuck" color if you're fishing it as a sulphur.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 pm

I hope in some small way, this fly makes my contribution to the fly fishing and fly tying world complete.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am

Terrific post, Jeff. Thanks Mark for reminding us what your original looks like.
Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Jeff, nicely done. These would certainly do the trick. And will if I get to tie a few before I head out.

Mark, you may have elsewhere, but would you describe the techniques you've used to achieve your pattern? abdomen wrapped technique, thorax method, and hackle wrap? I'd like to attempt it in your footsteps rather than manage a similar construction. Not that there is usually a "right" way, but you have your way and I'd like to attempt it.

Thanks. This fly will absolutely be around in many circles, publications and other presentations beyond my own time. It's a good one.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

I love this thread. It makes me :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Jeff, those are BEAUTIES. Mark sure come up with a KILLER pattern here. You did it justice to the extreme. :D
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 pm

In some small way, Mark, you have. :D
The Lil Dorothy has just made it into my "must carry" list. Yesterday I headed out after work, I shouldn't have as it was blowing- uncomfortably blowing- but there was a forecast Southerly squall due through so it was a case of beggars could not be choosers. I should have stayed home, the wind was the kind that will blow your net from the back of your vest over your shoulder- remove your hat and make funny humming noises on taunt flyline. Casting was near impossible and after a couple of hours without a touch, my new Lil Dorothy's and I went home empty handed.
Today dawned to very light rain and hardly a breath of wind. I had a small job to do that would fill in most the morning and could either start another in the afternoon...... or go fishing.

I went fishing. Same stretch of the Mataura close to home, just upstream of the Pyramid Bridge. I walked upstream about 2km without sighting a fish or making a cast. I was headed to a specific piece of water most other would walk past. It is a very deep hole, or pair of holes- divided by a rock ledge. Rocks form the top of the pool and the entire river (at this low level) is forced through a rather narrow neck and then eddy's around in all kinds of funny currents and rips. A very strange place to fish and I guess that is why most walk on past, but I once noticed several trout working on or near the surface with just the odd swirl or fin to give them away.

Hard to tell from the photo, but it is not "normal" water and VERY hard to get anything to float on, owing to the turbulent currents even the best floating lines are dragged under.

The first trout came from midway down the pool- on the "rough" side- over the rock shelf and close to the man placed flood protection rock face of the bank where a good foam line runs. I was fishing the Lil Dorothy "dry". I had ginked it to sit in/on the film and letting it sit for a very short drag free drift before the current dragged it down, then repeating. The fly was hit hard on the third cast, just as it hit the water.
I had just swapped rod to my left hand and removed the camera from my vest to take a shot of the rod bend- which was quite significant! This is the shot I got just after the trout spat the fly and the rod bend was no more!

I was standing about midstream just in front of the rock ledge, part of which can be seen bottom left above and the foam line is over past all the swirling water. So ended fish number one.

I walked downstream a bit, hoping to find some sighted or rising fish. On a quiet stretch of calm water, I could see rises from some way off and thought "here we go", but on closer inspection it was Swallows causing the disturbance on the surface as they fed. They were eating hatching insects- so odds are there will be trout doing the same........

This is what they were eating.

Same happened- hooked one, this time got a shot of the rod bent- but the trout spat the fly soon after. Having disturbed that quiet water I continued heading down- almost with the idea of heading home as it is not often I loose two in a row and it had got me down a little. I had promised myself to fish only Lil Dorothy and as a single- no team or attractor/work nymph to get the fly down or create some "come eat me" flash.
I was coming up to my favourite Pogo nymph stretch, so stopped a while and cast blind to "fishy" looking water I knew held trout usually. This time the fly was well washed off and I was fishing it wet- across and down with the good old lift at the end, pause and then recast.
Not a touch did I feel.

Usually when leaving this spot I take a direct line to the truck, but decided to follow the water instead. I have never had a lot of luck on this wee run- as it is close to the bridge and access maybe it gets hammered? It looks fishy enough- I just have never had a lot of luck from it.
I was loosing the faith a little, it felt like a good fish day, but I had little to show really. I waded to midstream and slowly walked downstream as I cast across to the bank- the fly swung and lifted and then cast again.
I landed 5 in quick succession. OK, they were all under 16" and some took the fly when I knew it was anything but drag free- but they took it. Near the end of the run I saw a small trout rising as enthusiastically as only they can, clearing the water complete on each rise to take a fly on the surface. So I moved a little and cast to where the lift should have happened just in front of his nose. Didn't get there, as this guy took it on the swing.

Better trout, no record breaker, but I was getting a bit worried Lil Dorothy may be a young fish fly. The ones who eat anything- not like older educated trout. This guy made me smile- and believe this pattern deserves a place in the box of "usuals".

The fly got a little slimed in algae during the photo shoot (note the olive tinges) but looks good wet, if a little different from Marks original- or the mark 2 with the silk body.

The run the six successful trout came from.

Looking down and back toward the bridge, one of the last fully wooden single lane bridges left in these parts.

Mark, as a fishing fly here- I kind of had my doubts. Most of our mayfly nymphs and duns are very dark either black or shades of brown. My take on the Lil Dorothy may have ended up even more orange than usual ties from your own vice, but the near white thorax is unusual here as well. But, mix the wool yarn with some Hare belly fur and ginger hen hackle and the local trout sure do not seem to mind.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 am

Ah... I recognize this bridge/stretch. The first Mataura day of my most recent NZ visit started right there...

Cheers,
Hans W
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:48 am

Wonderful trip report Jeff. Thank you so much for taking us along with yourself and Lil Dorothy. :D
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 am

Hans Weilenmann wrote:Ah... I recognize this bridge/stretch. The first Mataura day of my most recent NZ visit started right there...

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans, when? I am less than 5 minutes away and you didn't call in for coffee! :o
I imagine it is a little different now and the main flow of the river would have been where I was standing when I took the photo? The Mataura is pretty low with the drought conditions of January-March. You have to remember at that stage it has the additional flow of the Waikaia from maybe 5km upstream. I have never been able to wade across this river in as many places as I have been able to this season! The draw back is duck hunting starts first weekend in May...... and my pond is dry!
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.