One For Mark.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

One For Mark.

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:47 pm

My take on the Lil' Dorothy, shown recently in a video by Hans and the avatar used by Mark Libertone.

Hackle may be a little stiff, but close as I had to colour- creamy/ginger. Body is that now well known Milton Woolen Mills orange yarn, natural and unwaxed. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Roadkill

Re: One For Mark.

Post by Roadkill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Great looking fly!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Very cool rendition, Jeff. I hope you take this for a swim, and bring a camera along. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks guys, I should have also stated the thorax is not underfur, but the creamey/white belly fur from a European Brown Hare- touch dubbed.

Ray. I did tie a more yellow version and take it for a swim here, my idea was soon after Hans posted the video tie one up on a very nice vintage Mustad hook William kindly sent over and go catch a big ole NZ brown to show Mark.
It didn't work out :( , trout would not look at it..... indeed shyed away from it and I left it in a Willow tree along side the river. You know the trees that sneak up behind you...... I am sure I have seen a photo somewhere of you catching one of those trees. :oops:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 am

Jeff - I love the fact you fished Mark's pattern, and a copy is left overlooking a fine trout stream in your neck of the woods. My friend Karsten (fly_fisha) left one of my flies hanging along a stream in England. I've done the same thing (unintentionally) with some of his flies in my local waters.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 am

Nicely tied. Here's a bit of background on the fly:

This fly was originated years ago when I found a good hatch of Ephemerella dorothea coming off the water in my home river the Genesee. It was late May. There was nothing I had that came close to the color combination, and the trout were feeding on them regularly.

Since I was a wingless wet fly fisherman, I decided to try to create a pattern for myself. I tried, but nothing really did the trick for me. Finally while browsing through the sewing and crafts section at Wal-Mart, I noticed the embroidery floss. It came in tons of colors, and one caught my eye-a very pale creamy orange. I bought it.

At the vise I fashioned a soft-hackle style fly using one strand of the embroidery floss for the abdomen, and a piece of cream colored hare's ear for the thorax with cream ginger hackle, the Lil'Dorothy was born.

Over the years I've swapped out the cotton embroidery floss for the abdomen and have found a silk sewing thread of the correct color for the pattern. The abdomen is tied with NO tying thread beneath it. As Leisenring suggested for his Tup's Nymph, the two layers of silk become more translucent on the bare hook. The Thorax and abdomen share about half the body length each. The thorax is rough and when wet, should slightly veil the abdomen giving the impression of a cream colored fly with an orange cast to the abdomen.

The embroidery floss version still works well, and if you can not find the silk thread in the correct color, you can use the floss Color#722. The original tie can be seen here:http://www.danica.com/flytier/mliberton ... orothy.htm.

Thanks for tying it, Jeff.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Mark, thanks for the background and explanation behind the colours and length of thorax. Little adjustments like that may make all the difference.
I have slight cloaking of the abdomen, plus the nature of wool means a slightly fuzzy abdomen and translucent fibres, but I may head to the vice again and tie some more variations to see if I can hit upon a combination the locals like.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Jeff, I really like your take on this wonderful fly. Fantastic job.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Such a great post. Jeff, these are both great looking flies and I've only seen a sulphur hatch of that color once, but it was dynamic and these would work very well. Mark thanks for the background as well. It's a great pattern.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Right, there are just 14 days left of the regular river season around these parts and come hell or high water it is my intention to catch a NZ Brown trout on this (or a variation of :oops: ) pattern!

I am sticking with the orange wool yarn (after all I have a kilo of the stuff to use up!) and with the ginger hens so very nicely dropped off the other day here I now have a lot of hen hackle, lower leg and wing covert feathers that should be just the bee's knee's.
There is no reason they should not work here, a lot of the mayfly nymphs are variations of brown/yellow and the spinners a mahogany red, so if I can bet the size and presentation half pie right- we should be in business!