Bobbin Question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Bobbin Question

Post by Johnno » Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Considering the purchase of a couple or three "Rite" bobbins. The adjustable ones. I am just curious to know if they hold the Pearsalls OK or are they too large. Regular or short? Not going to fork out the $$ if they not what I am after. I've been using some other bobbins and have bent the legs to fit the Pearsalls but I'm not that happy with them and have got to the stage - finally - that I am going to do something about it.... .

Alas our Bobbin selection down here in the far flung Antipodies is not the best in the world but I can source Rites here and on the face of it seem to be OK. But maybe not?

cheers.
narcodog

Re: Bobbin Question

Post by narcodog » Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 pm

I have one of the Rite Bobbin and the one I have will not fit Pearsall's. I have been using a Wasatch ceramic and a Materelli they both handle the silk well.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue May 12, 2009 5:27 pm

I might disagree with your closing thought Mike, but I would tend to agree that both automatic models you mention (I have two of the Norvise versions) and the "Rite" bobbins are ill suited for silk. I like those "stools" in the link posted, but I've found that some of the cheaper Indian made ceramic bobbins made with brass knobs as opposed to tapered spool holders suit the little silk spools quite well. A small amount of bending and you are good to go.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Arron, this is the bobbin I use for all of my thread types.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 pm

That's the one--although I'm too cheap to spring for the Umpqua version LOL!
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Wed May 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I purchased a Cascade Crest Tools ceramic Midge bobbin for Pearsalls sized spools and it's not bad. the price is very reasonable at $9.00ea. I also purchased a couple of standard sized ceramic bobbins and I can't tell them apart from Griffin ceramics but they cost much less.

Mike: Interesting comment about auto bobins & rotary vises. I have a Danvise and at times I use the rotary function, mostly for tying wooly type patterns. The most usefull feature I find in a rotary is the ability to turn the hook and observe the fly under construction from various angles to see how well balanced it is.

Wayne
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi Mike;

Very true, I think for tying wingless wets, a rotary vise isn't much use. But for me being a beginner, I have to look at my first attempts at a pattern or technique to see if I've perfromed it correctly or more to the matter where I went wrong!

The rotary function is very usefull for other patterns such as wooly worms/buggers and for palmering hackle on dry fly patterns. I've tried using the rotary function when using soft stemmed feathers such as Partridge and Starling and it didn't work very well at all for me. I don't need additional help in breaking stems LOL!

Wayne
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed May 13, 2009 10:18 pm

JOHNNO,
YOU CAN HAVE MINE. I DON'T LIKE IT! I GAVE IT A FAIR TRIAL AND IT'S TOP NOTCH AS FAR AS QUALITY. BUT, I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE MYSELF LIKE IT. THEN, I READ ABOUT THOSE FANTASTIC TYERS OF A GENERATION BACK THAT NEVER USED A BOBBIN AT ALL AND DID QUITE WELL! I GUESS IT'S ALL IN WHAT WE ARE USED TO.
WITH TOOLS FALLING OUT OF THE CLOSET IN THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.