The Spur Winged Plover

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

The Spur Winged Plover

Post by Johnno » Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Something many of you would not be familiar with: A native Australian bird that was self - introduced into New Zealand in around the '20s and '30s (probably blew over in a storm and liked it better here so stayed!) So called because of the spurs on their wing (obviously!) Have to cut 'em off as they rip holes in plastic bags. Sharp little things. You can see them in this pic. - Not taken by me BTW. The bird is about twice the size of a blackbird.

Before the paddocks around my house were turned into apple orchards, there were a heap that would fly in each winter, so I harvested a few (as you would :) ). I tried cooking the breasts and they were surprisingly not too bad - a bit small. Currently my hackle of choice for small wingless wets. The coverts are a nice darker dun colour and it imitates the little emerging flies we have here nicely. I have not used the breast and back - neck hackles yet. but they seem nice enough.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: The Spur Winged Plover

Post by letumgo » Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Looks like they would have beautiful dun feathers. I was just telling my wife about these birds (she is an avid bird watcher) and she said we are going to have to come to NZ to see them... :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat May 09, 2009 6:26 am

Do I guess correctly it would be just about impossible to get one of these fine feathered creatures out of the country in a mailing box? :D

Would you by any chance have a photo of one of the flies you have tied with these feathers?
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat May 09, 2009 6:28 am

Yes and yes. :) I'll post a pic later...
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat May 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Aha! Another reason to visit the Land of the Long White Cloud besides the excellent fishing, to get some of those marvelous feathers (along with more Pukeko as I'm running low).

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri May 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Here y'are Stephen:

The hackle/feather is slightly darker than in the pic, the lights I use make it a bit lighter...
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 22, 2009 5:21 pm

I really like that Johnno. Maybe if I am lucky, one of these birds will self migrate to the US. :twisted: The coloring is excellent and you tied one good looking fly. Thanks for remembering.