video - Partridge & Orange

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

video - Partridge & Orange

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:36 pm

The Partridge & Orange is one of the true classic North Country, or Yorkshire, Spider patterns. As effective today as it has been for many generations of anglers before - anglers who understood these sparsely dressed patterns, and fished them with confidence.

Partridge & Orange
Hook: Kamasan B405 #12-18
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #19, hot orange
Hackle: Hungarian Partridge, brown
Body: Tying silk

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuK61AFV0NU

Cheers,
Hans W
Izaak

Re: video - Partridge & Orange

Post by Izaak » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Nice.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Izaak wrote:Nice.
*chuckle*

Thanks
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Hans perhaps I have missed conversation here regarding your not adding head cement of some sort to your finished flies. Have you found that just the three turn whip finish is adequate for your flies that are to be fished? Just one more question if you don't mind. It would seem you are having much better luck in keeping the feather secured with the EZ plier than I am. Domestic feather's especially like to slip away. Have you doctored that pliers so as to get a better grip?

Regards, Jerry
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 am

Jerry G wrote:Hans perhaps I have missed conversation here regarding your not adding head cement of some sort to your finished flies. Have you found that just the three turn whip finish is adequate for your flies that are to be fished?
There is no single answer. I view it as visible vs "invisible" heads.

The visible heads are those which consist of more than a mere three turns of thread of synthetic thread- those patterns where the head is built up for a specific reason - either to tie down material, because a more prominent head is an integral part of the pattern, or is the thread used calls for a touch of varnish. Here I apply varnish. The pattern in this thread has a visible head and yes, I will apply a coat of clear varnish to the Pearsall's Gossamer whip finish.

The 'invisible' head I have on many of my patterns just has the three turn whip finish by the thin polyester Benecchi 12/0 I do not apply varnish at all. I have not detected any loss of durability here on account of it over the past couple decades of fishing these flies.

The followup question might be why I only rarely show the application of varnish in the videos - this is simply a case of keeping the running time in check. How many times does one have to see that operation and get something new out of it? What I settled on is to show the first coat of thin varnish on those larger patterns, mainly steelhead/seatrout/salmon/salt patterns. With most of the trout patterns I do not make it part of the video.

Does that address your question?
Just one more question if you don't mind. It would seem you are having much better luck in keeping the feather secured with the EZ plier than I am. Domestic feather's especially like to slip away. Have you doctored that pliers so as to get a better grip?
No, I have not doctored the EZ Pliers. I ordered these off Eric Leiser's Rivergate flyshop in the middle 70's and I have not ever looked back. They are still going strong after close to four decades of intensive tying.

You may have to try a couple to "high grade" them. These are mass produced clips, and there will be a variance. In some the wire may have too sharp edges and cut the fragile feathers, in others the grip may not be adequate. It sounds you have one of the latter.

Cheers,
Hans W
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 am

Hans, thanks much for the timely reply to my questions. Hopefully a few other's may have benefitted as well.

Regards, Jerry
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 pm

I love the spiders, and this is one of my favorites. You can't go wrong having this fly in your box. Hans, beautiful job!!! :D
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Very clean and crisp tie, Hans.
I sometimes have the same grip problem, but not always. Usually it shows up when using delicate or very small stemmed feathers, such as Starling. I have several clips, I'll have to try them all on the smaller feathers. I use electronic test clips from Radio Shack. The only difference, as far as I know, is that mine have no ring thru the bottom, which really doesn't matter because I don't spin the clip around the hook using my finger, but rather, rotate the clip around the hook shaft, keeping the clip parallel to the shaft. I bet that was clear!
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Yep! the P&O is neat as a pin Hans.
cassady

Post by cassady » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Hans,

Another great video. I am new to the forum, but have long been a fan of your videos. It is not stretching the truth to say that you helped me to learn to tie flies.

Thanks so much from everyone who, like me, is or has been a silent but regular appreciator of your work.

Best,

chris