A MOTHERS DAY QUESTION...??

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

A MOTHERS DAY QUESTION...??

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun May 10, 2009 8:37 pm

AS I KISSED MY SWEET MOTHER GOODNIGHT AND SENT HER AND DAD OFF INTO THE NIGHT, THIS QUESTION OCCURED TO ME. HAS ANYONE TIED AND FISHED THE "MOTHERS DAY CADDIS" MADE FAMOUS BY SYLVESTER NEMES? THIS PATTERN HAS BECOME A CLASSIC AT LEAST IN MY WET FLY BOX. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THE GREAT SUCCESS AND SHEER FUN IN TYING THIS GREAT PATTERN FROM THE GREAT MAN IN HIS OWN RIGHT, SYL NEMES?
UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVEN'T QUITE WADED IN TO THOSE STILL MURKY WATERS OF MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY. IF ANYONE CAN AND WILL (THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT PHOTOGRAPHERS ON THIS SITE) POST THEIR IMPRESSIONS OF THIS GREAT PATTERN, IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
WITH GREAT REGARD FOR MOTHERS EVERYWHERE,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: A MOTHERS DAY QUESTION...??

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

Hi,
I have never used this pattern, however I do know what it looks like, and perhaps I should tie and try a few. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
brian ramsey

Re: A MOTHERS DAY QUESTION...??

Post by brian ramsey » Tue May 12, 2009 11:39 pm

I have used Syl's Mother's Day caddis and it's excellent. It's so simple that it really is deadly. You can customize any material in the tying. The huge hatch is occurring right now on the Yellowstone river and the lower Madison, below Ennis Lake dam. This hatch, if the conditions are right, you could witness "lilly pad" sized clusters of caddis. Some folks in the early 1990s witnessed large 5-foot-wide carpets/mats of clustered caddis and watching trout and whitefish break off chunks so they could feed easier...no kidding on this.