beginner question -- tying on hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

taylor16

beginner question -- tying on hackle

Post by taylor16 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Sorry if this is comes across as a really basic question but I'm having a difficult time breaking off the stem with residual partridge hackle after wrapping it around the front of the hook a couple of times... Any suggestions?
narcodog

Re: beginner question -- tying on hackle

Post by narcodog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Use a scissors or exacto knife.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Welcome Taylor16. I hope we can help you out.

I think what you mean is the hackle keeps breaking off when you try to wrap it before you get to tie it in? Otherwise do as narcodog suggests

Partridge hackle is notorious for breaking, especially if it is old. First, make sure you are not twisting it as you wrap. Second, check your hackle pliers, if you are using them to make sure they are not cutting the stem. Use a hand over hand movement if you need to. Keep constant pressure on the hackle but not too much. You only need a couple wraps so make sure you are not grabbing the stem too close to the tip. Using hackle pliers, try to grab as far down from the hackle tip as you can.

This is a start.

It would help to know:
The method you are using to tie in and wrap the hackle
What are using to wrap the hackle
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
taylor16

Post by taylor16 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm

It's not so much that the stem breaks off but rather after I have ties two turns of hackle, I don't know how to exactly break the stem off without dragging or disrupting the hackle that was already in place. I have tried to cut is but I have seen some youtube videos where the tier just simply pulls and the stem breaks off neatly.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I have seen folks do that. It takes a snap. I have been tying for thirty years and I'll stick with the exacto or scissors. Exacto will get right down to your tye off and not hurt your hackle. that's just me. I'm not a power tyer so If it takes a few seconds to pick up the tool it makes no difference to me.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah, snapping off the hackle takes a bit of practice. It's a "feel for it" thing. Most important thing is to make sure you are tying as tight as the thread will allow, then you need to give a quick snap against the tie down wraps. It's a bit easier with thinner thread and also helps if you give a twist to the thread so it is roped and not flat. I use it quite a bit but not all the time. Just depends on how feel.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
taylor16

Post by taylor16 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Just tied a couple dozen north country-style soft hackles and I was starting to get the hang of it, I think... :) I know that the flies don't have to look "textbook" perfect but I'd still like to tie one where I didn't have at least one hackle fiber ahead of the eye! I guess I care more about how they look than the trout. They look fishy, nonetheless...
Last edited by taylor16 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 pm

You're right - the fish don't really care. If it looks buggy, they'll eat it. I often think we tie more for ourselves than the fish. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm

taylor16 wrote:Just tied a couple dozen north country-style soft hackles and I was starting to get the hang of it, I think... :) I know that the flies don't have to look "textbook" perfect but I'd still like to tie one where I didn't have at least one hackle fiber ahead of the eye! I guess I care more about how they look than the trout. They look fishy, nonetheless...
Yep, "textbook" perfect is great for display flies- not that important for fishing flies. Sounds like you have found the balance.

In regard to snapping off hackle, you have had some pretty good advice above, just remember those that are good enough to make instructional videos -usually have an hour or two (decade or two more like) behind them in experience and have suffered through the same learning curve you are experiencing to get to where they are. Practise- practise and then practise some more......... and post some photos of your flies both just off the vice and in use.
Welcome aboard. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

taylor16, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum.
I used to think it would be neat to snap things off while tying.
until I pulled the whole vise into my lap :roll: . I'm stickin' to
a sharp edge or a pair of sissors. My preferance, of course,
yours may differ. When I first started 3 years ago, my learning
curve was like a brick wall in front of me now it has some slope.
Great folks here to answer danged near any question you might have.
I haven't been able to stump them yet, and I've really been tryin'.
Where do you do your fishin' ? Warn water or cold water ?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin