Hackle for soft hackle flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Hackle for soft hackle flies

Post by Old Hat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:52 am

Tim,

I would suggest you try a nice Whiting Genetic Hen cape. They run about 20-25 US dollars. I now use these almost exclusively for my dry flies as well. They have a heavy barb count, stiff hackle ends, but are softer along the stem. I tie them in dense for dry fly hackle add a little floatant, then with my thumb separate a V in the underside of the hackle (the softness of the hackle near the stem allows you do do this). this gives a similar effect as trimming the bottom barbs. I think it gives a better footprint on the water and as good, if not better floatation as the slightly softer barbs flex on the surface as opposed to sticking into it. Don't grease it and tie it sparse and you have excellent wingless wet hackle. For the price you don't have much to loose here and if you like the way it works for dry hackle you can save a bundle.

Talk personally to a shop and let them know you want a nice stiffer barbed hen hackle.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you OH for the suggestion. I am tying my drys almost exclusively parachute style now as I like how they sit on the water and how they land. Those and Klinks are my favorite ways to hit trout with the dryfly. The little shop we have here isn't too bad but they don't have much of a selection of feathers. It would be nice to get to a large fly shop and pick out what I want but that isn't likely to happen. Thank you for your suggestions, they are all appreciated.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Tim, they have told you some great places to find hens. Now, don't forget to take a peak at those Hebert Miner hen capes. I have a thing for those...LOVE THEM. (oh, another favorite, BRAHMA HEN) :D
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Are the Whiting Genetic Hen capes good down to 14 and 16 flies? I used some of my hen necks today and had an issue finding feathers smaller than size 12.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

zen leecher wrote:Are the Whiting Genetic Hen capes good down to 14 and 16 flies? I used some of my hen necks today and had an issue finding feathers smaller than size 12.

Zen, I tie them down to size 24. I am sure I could go down a few more sizes if I had hooks that small. In my opinion, Whiting genetic hen capes are the best Soft Hackle material available. I can get 2 to 4 flies out of one feather if I am just a little frugal. Guess you can tell by now I am a big fan.

zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm

I'll look for some over the weekend.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Sometimes it helps to be a little choosy as in being able to handle the capes before you buy, but for the most part the genetic hen capes should have a good supply at least to 20 and 22's and definitely a good amount of #14 and #16.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 03, 2013 9:49 am

Bill, Stop by table 5 at the show today and you can look through my selection of hen necks. All will tie as small as you want (I tied a 22 on a dare). I start tying at 2:00 both days.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Bill, Stop by table 5 at the show today and you can look through my selection of hen necks. All will tie as small as you want (I tied a 22 on a dare). I start tying at 2:00 both days.
I did and got to watch REE tie some of his soft hackles. Watched the lady at the next booth spin deer hair also.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Bill - Did you take any pictures? If so, can you share them with us? What did you buy at the show?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean