Quintessential North Country Spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: Quintessential North Country Spiders

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:11 am

wsbailey wrote:The hooks that Graham Maisey sells are no longer being made due to the death of the man who made them.
Bill,

I knew Sprite ceased production. Has Vince indeed died?

Sprite sold hooks under their own name, but as you point out, they also made hooks sold under Graham's Gaelic Supreme name. There is, however, also a US influence here - many, if not all, of the Gaelic Supreme hook models were designed by Jack Mickievicz from PA.

Cheers,
Hans W
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 am

Bill,

I knew Sprite ceased production. Has Vince indeed died?

Sprite sold hooks under their own name, but as you point out, they also made hooks sold under Graham's Gaelic Supreme name. There is, however, also a US influence here - many, if not all, of the Gaelic Supreme hook models were designed by Jack Mickievicz from PA.

Cheers,
Hans W[/quote]

Hi Hans,
Yes, unfortunately Vince Green has passed away: http://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/new ... aker_dies/ Bill
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you Bill

Hans W
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Re. the Gaelic Supreme hooks.
I know Graham quite well and spent some time talking with him today at the Crossroads Angling Show. He is in the process of trying to revive production of the hooks and is looking at several options regarding personnel and location of manufacture. He's working to keep the GS hooks alive and let's hope he does!
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Greenwell, now you are making me jealous. Would someone PLEASE take some PHOTOS???

<<<For those who will be coming to the Rendezvous, I'll be bringing a selection of original Spiders tied by Mr. Walbran Cooper and dated 1880. WC was a contemporary and neighbor of Pritt and the flies are in pristine condition. >>>

As far as the first spiders that come to my mind...of course the Snipe and Purple, and Partridge and Orange. I don't have a good book with decent photos of the spiders. The soft hackle books I have, have terribly small photos, and not clear. They were not made for the 40+ year old reader...lollllllll.
Kelly
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Kelly L. wrote: I don't have a good book with decent photos of the spiders. The soft hackle books I have, have terribly small photos, and not clear. They were not made for the 40+ year old reader...lollllllll.
Kelly
Do you know the book of Mike Harding: A guide to North Country Flies. It is pretty well I think. Looking forward to see you in Roscoe!!

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun May 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Ruard, I don't have that book. I don't have any book on North Country Flies. Sadly, I won't be going to Roscoe. I wish I was. Maybe in the future I can go. That would be awesome.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun May 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Ruard, I looked up that book, and bought it. I need another book like a new hole in my head though...lol. I will think of it as a Mother's Day present for myself. :D
taylor16

Post by taylor16 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Tell me-- Where can one find Snipe? Can't seem to find it anywhere online. All this talk about Snipe & Purple is driving me nuts!
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun May 05, 2013 6:40 pm

taylor16 wrote:Tell me-- Where can one find Snipe? Can't seem to find it anywhere online. All this talk about Snipe & Purple is driving me nuts!
There are plenty of places in the UK online that can help out with pairs of Snipe wings that may be cheaper than finding a supplier in the States, but it will depend on shipping, both the cost of and the legality of importing feather still attached to skin and bone.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.