Attempted Partridge & Orange

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Boris

Attempted Partridge & Orange

Post by Boris » Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 am

I didn't have the requisite orange Pearsalls silk but used a Danvilles I had on hand which is a bit redder, a #16 hook - I think it's Mustad R70 - my youngest daughter has taken a liking to hook boxes and they go missing when empty, sometimes even before that!

I can see I need to wear my magnifying visor for fly tying as my reading glasses aren't strong enough to see where each body thread wrap is nesting.
Mataura mayfly

Re: Attempted Partridge & Orange

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am

Nice looking variation Boris.
Danvilles can be an "interesting" thread to do these type of bodies with. It is slippery, it can lay flat for some of the wraps and then twist up to a cord. It would not be my first choice and I for one think you handled it pretty damn well.
Nice form with the hackle in regard to sparseness and length.

Good looking fishing fly. :)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 am

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not overly keen on Danvilles but it's the only orange I have. But having said that I have some YLI silk in 100wt - the stuff I use for wrapping rod guides - which is more like a round cord in profile but not in orange. Anyway, I'm sure the fish don't notice.

The hackle was an interesting exercise. It took me a few times to get the sparseness I've seen in other examples.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 am

I have "been there- done that" with various oranges from sewing cottons to wool yarn, so I am no different in that respect of using the orange you have. I do not think however, any of the subs I have used over the years have had any resemblance to Pearsalls "6A", a silk that has its own special properties and the "Holy Grail" of the P&O.
Pearsalls silk may be easier to get hold of in Oz than over here? I found one supplier here, but very limited stock, so I ordered some through Big Jim's. No 6A but did get some of the Hot Orange.

Next time you order some YLI for rods you might look at a few spools of 50 for tying?

So did you strip one side of the hackle, tie in by the tip, or just do a single turn of the full feather?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

I have YLI 100 weight in 3 colors. I see no reason why you could not use it. I have not tried the 50 weight.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue May 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Boris I think you did a fine job. I prefer silk on thread bodied flies. Only for the translucent properties they promote. On most dubbed bodies, I don't think it matters much. Just remember the color change of silk when wet. A wet P&O with orange silk will be a much different color than a P&O with Danville's. No problem with Danville's but you might need to adjust the color of the thread to match the wet color of the P&O with silk. I hope that makes sense. As far as perfect wraps go...nice perfect wraps are only for the fly tier. I personally think unperfect wraps give off shadows and relay depth to the body of the thread bodied fly. This I think is a plus when fishing. Just my opinion though.

Again nice job on this one and the hackling is super.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Old Hat wrote:Boris I think you did a fine job. I prefer silk on thread bodied flies. Only for the translucent properties they promote. On most dubbed bodies, I don't think it matters much. Just remember the color change of silk when wet. A wet P&O with orange silk will be a much different color than a P&O with Danville's. No problem with Danville's but you might need to adjust the color of the thread to match the wet color of the P&O with silk. I hope that makes sense. As far as perfect wraps go...nice perfect wraps are only for the fly tier. I personally think unperfect wraps give off shadows and relay depth to the body of the thread bodied fly. This I think is a plus when fishing. Just my opinion though.

Again nice job on this one and the hackling is super.

Boris, this is a really nice spider. I was going to make similar comments to what Carl said. The silk will shift to a rusty spinner color when wet. I don't know the properties of your tying thread, they all vary in terms of color shifts. I just tied a line up of P&O's using 6a. Maybe pics later if I can arrange it. (still no computer). As far as spiders go, this is as nice as any I've ever seen. Some have smoother bodies, but bugs don't and like the overall look of this.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Jeff,

Yes, on that one I did strip one side of the partridge. I tried it both ways but stripping one side gave a better result, the others seem a bit too full.

Carl,

I understand the colour changes with silk, it's an important feature with rod wraps that change when varnished. Next time I order some silk I'm going to get some Pearsalls 6a and tie a few more.

William,

Yes please, a few pictures would be great.

Thanks for the encouraging comments from all.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Excellent fly, Boris. Lovely body and hackle work.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks Ray. Form here they can only get better...

My first examples are not very "clean" and those recalcitrant partridge hackles take some practice.