Hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

Hooks

Post by wayneb » Wed May 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi all;

An interesting topic came up about hooks in Hans' Emerald Shiner pattern.

Do you choose/vary the hook model to vary the depth/sink rate of a wet pattern?

In other words are their times you use a different hook model/and or tie a pattern on a larger or smaller hook to vary the sink rate?

Wayneb
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Hooks

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi,
I do look at wire and use a slightly heavier hook if I think a heavier hook is needed to get it to sink and a lighter wire if I want it more near the surface. Of course, line usage is important as well. I think it'd be difficult to keep a fly near the surface with sinking line.

My hook selection is also based more on the file profile I'm trying to achieve. Hans has said many times the hook is the canvas we use. I would say it's more like the armature of a piece of sculpture.

Also consider this, and I think it is more important than hook wire weight. There are many factors determining where a fly should be placed in order to get the drift and depth you want. Water depth and speed determine how fast the fly gets to the fish and how fast or slow it will sink coupled with the sink rate, if any, of the line or any added weight to the fly or leader. You as the angler must evaluate the situation you are fishing and your experience will tell you where the fly should be placed, what type of line to use, hook to use,etc. in order to get it where you want it to be.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 am

Hi Mike & Mark;

Interesting stuff, I was wondering with these types of patterns if the hook size or wire gauge made much of a difference. I tied up a couple of soft hackles on dry fly hooks and was wondering how they will fish compared to those tied on a wet fly hook. I know the weight difference is minimal but, a sparsley tied soft hackle "looks" like it would float.

Definetly sounds like I will have to play around fishing them and perhaps compare in the pool later this year. That is after I clean the pool, fill it, and it gets warm enough for me to venture in.

Thanls for the replies;

Wayne
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu May 21, 2009 8:30 am

Wayne,

Just to put things in perspective - the #14 Partridge BMN hook is a serious iron - quite beefy compared to more standard hooks. Some would argue, not without merit, that these hooks are incorrectly sized/labeled.

Compare the #14 Partridge BMN hook to a commonly used Kamasan B175 in the same #14 size 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 am

Chuckle ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am

BMN = Big Mouth Nymph

You may take up a rename option with Partridge direct...

Cheers,
Hans W
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Mike;

Thanks for the additional information and links on hooks, very informative. In following your discussion of floating a soft hackle by greasing the tippet three inches before the fly, I wonder if that section were say colored with a sharpie then greased with floatant. would it serve as an indicator??

Hans;

Thanks for the photograph comparing the two hooks, the Partridge BMN looks like a monster in comparison! Although, the shank lengths appear to be the same.

Wayne