Let's talk bodies...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Let's talk bodies...

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Which are your favorite materials, and why?

I will kick off...

I am pretty partial to using feather barbs, especially on smaller size hooks, to form abdomen or body. I like the variegated nature, and the fuzzy appearance - the suggestion of movement and 'gills'.

A sample:

Over to you.

Cheers,
Hans W
narcodog

Re: Let's talk bodies...

Post by narcodog » Sun May 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm with you on this Hans, I like to use both Ostrich and Emu to give that life like appearance. I also like to use loosely dubbed, touch dubbed, fur like Mole and Hare.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 am

For soft hackles I probably best like thread body with a light touch dub fur ( and my preferred fur is from the back of the common house/field mouse..) either with or without a rib (which is usually a fine gold wire - and which I don't have any of at the moment. :cry: )

Why? Just because I do. :)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon May 25, 2009 1:33 pm

But then I am just as partial to lightly dubbed bodies... 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon May 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Let's see, I like:

- Herl Bodies
- Silk Bodies
- Liesenring-Style Dubbing Loop Fur Bodies
- Touch Dubbed Mole on Waxed Silk Bodies
- Tinsel Bodies
- Twisted Tinsel/Dubbing Bodies
- Fruit Bag Bodies
- Pheasant Tail Bodies
- Aftershaft Bodies
- CDC Bodies
- Midge Tubing Bodies
- Legs Alive Bodies
- Copper Wire Bodies
- Silk Wrapped over Tinsel Bodies
- Thread Bodies
- Quill Bodies
- Tappered Bodies
- Uniform Bodies
- Scraggly Bodies
- Slender Bodies
- Plump Bodies

Don't ask me to pick a favorite. I like them all, for various reasons. Thankfully, I have seen each and every type of bodies on this forum.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon May 25, 2009 8:47 pm

I would be torn between a herl body like pheasant or grouse fibers and a lightly dubbed body like this possum and hen. If I had to chose a dubbing above others, it would be mole. Thank god I don't have to choose. I would say I'm 50/50 on herl or dubbed. The only reservation that I have with the herl bodies is the extra effort to create a taper to the abdomen as opposed to the dubbed bodies. Not that I could say it makes any difference.

possum and hen

Mike, with some herl bodies I agree there can be less of a variegated nature than a custom blended dubbing, but not always.

grouse and hen

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon May 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Hans,
This is a great thread idea. Myself, I say why limit yourself to one particular choice. I guess I select what I'm going to use for the body by what I may be trying to imitate. Some materials lend themselves better to the smooth segmented bodies of mayflies. Some look more caddis-like. In some applications one might want the body to trap some air bubbles-furs might work better. I believe movement is important to show life, and as Mike has said, furs and particular feathers lend themselves better to this.

When creating a fly, it is much like creating a piece of art. The artist selects the medium that best suits the subject matter and the message that needs to be conveyed. Each medium has a special attribute that affects the resulting artwork. So it is with tying.

This is why I appreciate the flies that are posted, here. Many of the tiers that submit patterns here offer a look at different materials and how they can be used, creatively. Again, why limit yourself and your skills.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue May 26, 2009 5:08 am

All depends on what im trying to immitate and on what size hook and on the water or just below.
Like said before fur holds airbubbles but also sinks faster,a nice small body made from a feather gives a nice segmentation.
I cant say whats my fav material,just learn more here how i can use all of them.

Klaas
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 am

*chuckle*
I cant say whats my fav material
Nobody asked you to, m'friend The thread is on materials we like to use. Ray provided a fair listing of what is out there. I cannot say my own listing would look far different 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue May 26, 2009 7:12 am

I like to use mostly bodies of Hare and Rabbit fur. If it is a blend then I prefer that and then it could be also a blend with synthetic materials and some glitter too. But dubbed bodies of fur are my favorites
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl